Public Houses & Inn’s

The British Legion Club – Abertillery

The Abertillery British Legion Club. The British Legion at Abertillery were originally known as the Abertillery branch of the Welsh National Federation of Discharged and Demobilised Sailors and Soldiers Association or D.D. and S.S. for short. They formed the association at Abertillery after the Great War 1914-1918 and held their meetings at the Palace Cinema, Carmel Street, Abertillery. In 1919 ... Read More »

The Railway Inn – Abertillery

Railway Inn, Abertillery. Mr Thomas Jones. In the 1860’s Mr Thomas Jones was reported as being the landlord at the Railway Inn, Abertillery. Mr Jones went bankrupt in January 1869. Mr Alfred James. During the early 1870’s Mr Alfred James was listed as landlord at the Railway Inn, Abertillery, although in July 1877 Mr Alfred James transferred the license to ... Read More »

The Bell Inn – Abertillery

The Bell Inn – Abertillery. During the late 1860’s the Bell Inn, Abertillery was constructed, it was situated at Market Street. I am not sure if the inn originally extended down through to Somerset Street at this time though it later did with entrances top and bottom, the both areas were known as the Top Bell or Bell Tap and ... Read More »

The Old Tyleryans Club – Abertillery

The Old Tyleryans Club – Abertillery. In December 1938, at an annual dance held at the Drill Hall, Abertillery, it was suggested by the Old Tyleryans Association that they were looking for a place as a new club, a place that they could have as their own to hold functions. They had in the past been holding meetings and functions ... Read More »

The Lamb Inn – Abertillery

The Lamb Inn – Abertillery. Mr George Gregory. The first mention of the Lamb Inn, Abertillery was its entry in the 1871 census. Mr George Gregory was listed as a coalminer and also innkeeper of the Lamb Inn, Abertillery. Mr George Gregory was the eldest son of Mr Moses Gregory and Mrs Ann Gregory, old inhabitants of Abertillery originally from ... Read More »

The Colliers Arms – Abertillery

The Colliers Arms – Abertillery. Mr Richard Middleton. The first mention of the Colliers Arms, Abertillery was in the 1860’s when Mr Richard Middleton was reported as being the owner and was also a contractor. On the 1861 census Mr Richard Middleton lived at the Colliers Arms, Abertillery with his family – Mr John Middleton, brother, born in 1822 at ... Read More »

The Prince of Wales Inn – Abertillery

The Prince of Wales Inn – Abertillery. Mr John Thomas. The first mention of a Prince of Wales Inn, Abertillery was in 1854, the Monmouthshire Merlin newspaper on Friday 29th December 1854 reported on a Forester’s Festival held the previous Tuesday 26th December 1854. The Forester’s Lodge held a meeting at the Prince of Wales, the house of Mr John ... Read More »

The Bush Hotel – Nantyglo

The Bush Hotel – Nantyglo. The first known report of the Bush Inn, Nantyglo was printed in the Glamorgan, Monmouth and Brecon Gazette and Merthyr Guardian 25th May 1833. Mr Robins of the Bush Inn Nantyglo was taking bookings for emigration to the United States by sailing ship. Mr George Robins. The 1841 census shows Mr George Robins was landlord ... Read More »

The Somerset Hotel – Abertillery

The Somerset Hotel – Abertillery. The Somerset Hotel was originally known as the Somerset House and was first featured on the 1861 census. It is believed that the original inn was constructed sometime in the late 1850’s. Somerset Street was the area from the Somerset House to High Street, from the Somerset House to Cwm Farm Road was known as ... Read More »

The Commercial Hotel – Abertillery

The Commercial Hotel – Abertillery. The Commercial Hotel was originally an Inn and was known as the Commercial Inn in all early reports.┬áThe Commercial Inn, Abertillery was first mentioned in a report in the Monmouthshire Merlin on the 18th February 1865 when Mrs Emma Jarrett was charged with being drunk and riotous at the Commercial Inn, Abertillery and was fined ... Read More »

error: Content is protected !!