Llanhilleth and Crumlin Collieries

Mr David Francis Pritchard – Western Valley’s Brewery Crumlin

Mr David Francis Pritchard – Crumlin. Mr David Francis Pritchard, was born in Llangynidr, Brecknockshire in 1848, the son of Mr Edward and Sarah Pritchard of Llanfrynach, Brecon. In 1880 Mr David F. Pritchard married Mary Durrant Gibbins. Mary Durrant Gibbins was born in Devonshire on 26th July 1852. A short while after they moved to Buchan Terrace, Rhymney and ... Read More »

Crumlin Viaduct – Commemorative Plate

Messrs Briggs & Co Boot and Shoe Manufacturers. Messrs Briggs & Co were Mr William Edwin Briggs and his son Mr Arthur Edwin Briggs, a family of Boot and Shoe Manufacturers from Leicester. They had stores in all major towns with many in South Wales including Brynmawr, Risca, Blackwood, Abercarn, Ebbw Vale and Newbridge. In the early 1900s the Messrs ... Read More »

Mines Rescue Station – Crumlin

Mines Rescue Station – Crumlin. The featured photograph above is of the Committee of the Monmouthshire Rescue Association 1910. In July 1910 the Crumlin Rescue Station was established and officially opened on Saturday 9th July. It was the first rescue station in Monmouthshire and only the second in South Wales. The first station being in Aberaman. The Crumlin station served ... Read More »

Mr William Bailey Partridge of Partridge Jones & Co 1839 – 1909

Mr William Bailey Partridge 1839 – 1909. Mr William Bailey Partridge was born in 1839 (more information to come) Mr W. B. Partridge leased the Varteg Colliery and Works from Mr Crawshay Bailey. He later met with Mr Edward Jones and a partnership was formed to take over the proprietorship of the Varteg Collieries and Iron Works. Mr William B. ... Read More »

Mr Edward Jones of Partridge Jones & Co 1836-1903.

Mr Edward Jones of Partridge Jones & Co 1836-1903. Mr Edward Jones was born in Talybont, Breconshire on the 4th December 1836, he attended Abergavenny Grammar School, he went on to become a mining pupil at Beaufort and became associated with Mr Crawshay Bailey. His first official appointment was on the management of the Varteg Colliery under Mr Crawshay Bailey. ... Read More »

Navigation Colliery Crumlin

The Navigation Colliery – Crumlin. The Navigation Colliery sinking operations were announced in the local newspapers on Friday 9th August 1907 by Messrs Partridge, Jones & Co. It stated that other influential colliery investors are associated with the enterprise. They stated the site was being on the Trinant side of the River Ebbw between Bowen’s Foundry at Crumlin and the ... Read More »

Aberbeeg Colliery (South)

Aberbeeg Colliery (South) There isn’t a great deal of information or photographs of the Aberbeeg South Colliery (as seen in the image upper right. The colliery on the left was the Crumlin Navigation Colliery) it was late in the sinking operations and seems to be a forgotten pit. In January 1924 it was announced in the local papers that a ... Read More »

The Llanhilleth Institute -A brief History

The Llanhilleth Institute History. In 1897 Mr Edward Jones (Colliery Company partner) provided a small building as a Library Reading Room and a room for Billiards. Later it was found necessary to procure a larger premises and a place was then rented from Mr Bowen of Llanhilleth, this consisted of a Reading Room, Billiards Room and a Recreational Room for ... Read More »

History of the owners of Llanhilleth Collieries

History of the owners of Llanhilleth Collieries. Mr Reginald James Blewitt Esq Mr Blewitt was born in 1799, though sadly not a lot is known about his early life! In 1829 he went into partnership with Mr Charles Hough and set up the newspaper printing company the “Monmouthshire Merlin”. In 1831 Reginald Blewitt became the sole proprietor of the newspaper ... Read More »

error: Content is protected !!