Abertillery Clubs

The Liberal Club Abertillery – The Beginning

The Liberal & Labour Club Abertillery – The Central Snooker Club. A very early image of the Philharmonic Society Building, later to become the Liberal Club, Abertillery. The photograph of the Philharmonic building (as seen in the centre of the featured image above) was taken in about 1896. In the late 1880s a Philharmonic Club was established in the bottom ... Read More »

The Liberal Club Abertillery

The Liberal & Labour Club Abertillery – The Central Snooker Club. In the late 1880s a Philharmonic Club was established in the bottom part of Tillery Street, Abertillery (as seen circled in White on the featured image above) and entertained many venues in the town throughout the 1890s. – The Caretaker was Mr Gulliford. In a report from 1890 the ... Read More »

The Liberal Club Abertillery – List Of Members 1902 to 1925

The Liberal & Labour Club Abertillery – The Central Snooker Club. Abertillery Liberal & Labour Club. List of the founding members 1902 and thereafter up to 1925. The Central Club and Institute, Foundry Bridge, Abertillery. March 1902 – March 1925. 1902. Mr G. Selby, 43 Alma Street, Insurance Agent. Mr J. Boots, 14 Ashfield Road, Insurance Agent. Mr G. G. ... Read More »

The Liberal Club Abertillery – New Building 1911

The Liberal & Labour Club Abertillery In June 1910 the committee decided to have the Liberal Club reconstructed, the new building (as seen in the featured image above) was built over the old structure. New Liberal Club. Since its opening in 1902 the Liberal & Labour Club under the Secretaryship of Mr T. Embrey had gained popularity though changes in ... Read More »

The Liberal Club Abertillery – The Central Snooker Club

The Liberal Club Abertillery – The Central Snooker Club. By the 1950s the club had a new roof, was refurbished and had changed its name to The Abertillery Central Snooker Club And Institute, but was always known as the “Lib”. Throughout the 1970s and 1980s housed the Citizens Advice Bureau in its old Lecture Rooms on the first floor. Many ... Read More »

Roseheyworth Club 1962 – 2008

Roseheyworth Club 1962 – 2008. In 1960 the residents of the Roseheyworth Estate, Abertillery started a fund to pay for a Club House on the housing site. The fund raising committee raised funds door to door and street collections to get the project started. The Abertillery Council gifted the Tenants Committee the land above the Lorraine Stores on the Hill ... Read More »

Roseheyworth Club 1962 – 2008

Roseheyworth Club 1962 – 2008. The front half page from the original Bar Takings Ledger from the first day the Club opened Saturday 22nd September 1962. The Ledger hold every weeks bar takings from September 1962 up to and including December 1982. Point of Interest – The first nights takings were £163 10s 2d. Christmas week 1962 the Bar takings ... Read More »

error: Content is protected !!