Mr Daniel Lewis M.E.
Mr Daniel Lewis was born in 1835, at Ebbw Vale, the son of Mr Lewis Lewis. At an early age he attended Voluntary School and Sunday School and gained extra education through private study. He began his early career in the collieries and worked his way up to Manager of the Jayne’s Tillery Colliery at Abertillery.
Mr and Mrs Lewis were married in 1873, (second wife)
Mrs Mary Lewis nee Evans was born in 1851 at Brecon, a member of the well known Evans’ family of Maescoed, the daughter of the late Mr Enoch Evans, of Brecon. One of her uncles was the Rev. John Evans the Pastor of Watergate Baptist Church, Brecon, his son was the well known Solicitor Mr Stephen Bowen Evans, Clerk of the Peace for Breconshire and the County Court Registrar. Another uncle was Rev. David Evans the Pastor of the Baptist Church at Pontyrhydun whose son was Dr Conway Evans, the well known London Doctor and Lecturer at Kings College, London.
A brother of the late Mrs Lewis was Mr Daniel Evans, a Solicitor whose advocate extended throughout South Wales and the Principality.
In 1874 Mr Daniel Lewis went to Nantyglo and became the Manager of the Coalbrookvale Collieries under Messrs J. & W. Barnes, a position he kept for 15 years. Upon leaving Nantyglo to become the General Manager at the Cwmtillery and Roseheyworth Collieries in 1889 a party was held for him in the Garnfach, among the gifts were portrait paintings of Mr & Mrs Lewis in gilt frames, given to them by the men of the collieries. A few days later Mr and Mrs Lewis were resident at the Lake Villa’s.
In May 1891 Mr Lewis became a member of the Abertillery Local Board, he was again elected in 1893.
In July 1889 it was announced that Mr Lewis’s eldest son Enoch H. Lewis had passed his examinations and was accepted into Oxford or Cambridge Universities at 16 years old. In 1894 Mr Enoch H. Lewis entered Balliol College Oxford University after being there for only 3 days he returned home to Cwmtillery with ill health and sadly died in April 1894.
In September 1898 Mr Daniel Lewis was elected into the North Ward and in 1900 became Chairman of the Abertillery Council. He was still the Manager of the Collieries while doing Council work.
On Monday 3rd September 1900 Mr Lewis officially opened the Abertillery open-air Baths at the Abertillery Park.
In 1906 Mr Lewis retired from the post of Manager, left the Lake Villas and moved into Clarence House, Blaenau Gwent, he sadly passed away on Saturday 30th January 1909. (Upon his death a friend spoke “He was staunch and unwavering, who never forsook his flag when the cause was unpopular, who never remained on the fence to see which way the cat jumped. He had convictions and was true to them, never noisy about them and never afraid to account for them”).
Mrs Lewis sadly passed away on the 8th February 1931 at the age of 80, she was residing in Fern Villa, Penybont (the old residence of Mr Joseph Wallace, late Cwmtillery & Roseheyworth Manager).
Mr Lewis’ second son Mr Lionel D. Lewis was for many years surveyor to the Abertillery District Council though had resigned to take up an important position in London and became the Managing Director of Messrs George Wimpey & Co of Hammersmith.
Mr Lewis’ third son was Mr Martin R. Lewis B.A. Headmaster at the Intermediate School, Abertillery.
Three daughters – Miss Goli Lewis, Mrs Gertrude Brooks of Yeovil, and Miss Ethel Lewis, one of the staff at the Blaenau Gwent Infants School.