NEW ADDITIONS

Miners Oil Lamp – Open Gauze Lamp

Miners Oil Lamp – Open Gauze Lamp. Made from Iron and Brass. Size 9″ x 3″ inches. Date unknown, though it has some type of a locking mechanism on the oil reservoir. All parts are numbered. This lamp had an open gauze on top of the glass. Later lamps had a Steel or Aluminium Bonnet to protect the gauze.  Read More »

Miners Oil Lamp Spikes

Miners Oil Lamp Spikes. Made of Iron. Size 11″ x 1 1/2″ and 10″ x 1 1/2″ These Oil Lamp Spikes were used by the Colliers on the Coal Face, they would be hammered into the timbers and the Oil Lamp would be hung from the hole in the spike.   Read More »

Lamproom Sealing Wax

Lamproom Sealing Wax. Made from Wax. Size 4″ x 1/2″ x 1/2″ inches. This Sealing Wax with a wick was used to seal the release pins in place in the Cap-Lamp bezel so that no-one could access the air tight lens and bulb to expose the electrical parts. The wick would be set alight to melt the wax enabling it ... Read More »

Conveyor Belt Clips

A Box of Conveyor Belt Clips. The box of Galvanised clips were made in England by “Bat Fasteners” Hawkshead, P.O. Box 2, Glossop, Derbyshire, SK13 9SD.  The box is full and complete containing eight 9″ inch combs with a spacing of 7mm between hooks.  The “Bat Fasteners Co” was a member of the Jackson Fasteners Ltd, a group of companies ... Read More »

Mr James McBean – Surveyor for the Abertillery Local Board and District Council

Mr James McBean. Mr James McBean was born in 1849 at Beauly, Invernesshire, Scotland, the son of Mr John McBean a Publican and Auctioneer. Mr James McBean was educated at Inverness and later apprenticed to Surveying at Wrexham. He joined the Royal Engineers and became a Surveyor in the Ordnance Survey Department. Moved to Haverfordwest with the Royal Engineers/Ordnance survey, ... Read More »

Mr Harry Evans – Fruiterer, Poulterer and Grocer, Abertillery

Mr Harry Evans – Fruiterer, Poulterer & Grocer Abertillery. In the mid 1880s Mr James Mundy, and his wife Martha and family, were living at Abertillery and set up a Fish Monger & Grocery business at No10 Commercial Street, Abertillery, opposite what would become the Arcade. James and Martha had married in 1886 at the Congregational Chapel at Abertillery and ... Read More »

The Clynmawr Hotel – Blaenau Gwent

The Clynmawr Hotel. The Clynmawr Hotel (seen lower middle on the map from 1880) was named after the area of Blaenau Gwent known as Clynmawr, the area extended from Tyr Bryn down to the main Railway line at Glanydwr and across to Brynteg to the east. There is no known English translation of the word Clyn, on the land maps ... Read More »

The Crown Inn – Blaenau Gwent

The Crown Inn. Mr John and Magdalen Jones. On the 1841 Census Mr John Michael Jones born 1775 at Aberystruth was a Farmer on Clynmawr, he lived in the farm which would become the original Crown Inn with his wife Mrs Magdalen Jones from Cardiganshire and their children, Masters John, Richard, Daniel, Michael John, Anthony and Miss Elizabeth Jones. Mr ... Read More »

error: Content is protected !!