General History

The Christian Endeavour Union of Wales – Badge

The Christian Endeavour Union of Wales – Badge. This pin-back badge was available to members and officers of the Christian Endeavour Union of Wales during April 1933 to commemorate the Welsh National Convention held at Abertillery and the Blaenau Gwent Baptist Church.  Made by the Birmingham Medal Co. Size 1″ inch in diameter.   The Christian Endeavour Society. The first Christian ... Read More »

Mrs Rosina (Rose) Heyworth – The Lady Behind the Name

Mrs Rosina (Rose) Heyworth – The Lady Behind the Name. The Rose Heyworth Colliery was sunk in 1874 under the directorship of Mr Lawrence Heyworth managing director of the South Wales Colliery Company.  The company already owned Cwmtillery (the South Wales Colliery) and the first coal raised at Rose Heyworth was in about 1876-77, though may well have been later ... Read More »

The Remploy Factory – Abertillery

Remploy. Remploy was established in 1945 under the terms of the Disabled Persons Act of 1944, it is an organisation owned by the Department of Works and Pensions in the United Kingdom and provides employment and employment placement services for disabled people. Abertillery Remploy. On Friday 21st September 1945 the South Wales Gazette reported – The first meeting of the ... Read More »

Coed Iorwg House – Abertillery

Messrs Williams. Coed Iorwg is the large double fronted house in its own grounds sited on High Street where the Abertillery multi-storey car park would later be built. The house can be seen (centre-right on the main featured image above). The premises was partly covered in creeping ivy and was used as the backdrop of many sports team photographs in ... Read More »

The Abertillery County School Grounds – Roseheyworth Road

The Abertillery County School Grounds – Roseheyworth Road. The County School Grounds were initially fields (as seen left) purchased by the council in 1921 upon which they intended to use as part of their housing scheme. They had been dumping refuse on its northern portion close to where the Millennium School, Roseheyworth Campus is situated today. The tip was halted ... Read More »

Abertillery Art Classes – An Early History

Abertillery Art Classes. The British Schools. In 1887 during the rebuilding of the British Schools boy’s section, Mr Thomas Bevan, headmaster and Mr William Roberts of Nantyglo initially established art lessons. These art lessons became part of the Science and Art Classes and in connection with these classes lectures were given by the county organiser Mr E. Small M.A. and ... Read More »

The Drill Hall – Abertillery

The Original Drill Hall – Abertillery. During the late 1890’s the Drill Hall at Abertillery was in a room above and which was part of the Castle Inn, Castle Street, Abertillery (as seen left, centre of the image). The Castle Inn and the old Drill Hall was opposite where the entrance into Tesco is today. It was used by the ... Read More »

Clyn Mawr Ganol – Penybont Nursing Home, Abertillery

Clyn Mawr Ganol. Clyn Mawr Ganol (middle farm) was one of three ancient farms at Clyn Mawr, Clyn Mawr Uchaf (upper farm) the Ganol and lower down close to where the Social Security Office is today was Clyn Mawr Isaf (lower farm). The Clyn Mawr Ganol is seen (centre-left) on the 1840 map, also seen on the map is the ... Read More »

Mining School – Crumlin

Mining School – Crumlin Monmouthshire. Prior to established mining schools and colleges, the various aspects of advanced mining education in connection with colliery officials and management etc was usually given at local schools in the coal mining districts. These mining classes were usually held after normal school hours under the Technical Instruction Committees. During the rapid expansion of the coal ... Read More »

error: Content is protected !!