Cwmtillery Colliery

Penybont Colliery Sinking Report 1848

Penybont Colliery Sinking Report 1848. A newspaper report from the Principality Newspaper dated Friday 8th September 1848. It shows the Tyr Nicholas Colliery, Cwmtillery Colliery, progressing. Originally sunk under the ownership of Mr Thomas Brown, purchased by Mr John Russell in 1847 and being expanded under the supervision of Mr Martin of Risca. The report also mentions the progress of ... Read More »

Cwmtillery Colliery – Showing The 3 Shafts

Cwmtillery Colliery – Showing The 3 Shafts.  The Shafts. After the initial sinking of Tyr Nicholas Colliery, Cwmtillery Colliery under the ownership of Mr Thomas Brown Esq in 1842, two other shafts were later sunk under the ownership of Mr John Russell Esq. Mr Thomas Brown. In 1842 the No1 Shaft (upcast) was sunk to the Elled coal seam at ... Read More »

Abertillery New Mine – Rose Heyworth and Cwmtillery Collieries Shaft Depth Details

Abertillery New Mine – Rose Heyworth and Cwmtillery Collieries Shaft Depth Details The both collieries, Rose Heyworth and Cwmtillery had always been connected since the Rose Heyworth Colliery was established and sunk in 1874-75. At that time Mr Joseph Wallace (Manager of Cwmtillery Colliery) and Mr William Adams (Mining Engineer of Cardiff) drove a connecting tunnel from Cwmtillery to the ... Read More »

Penybont Cwmtillery – By Product Works & Coke Ovens

Penybont Cwmtillery – By Product Works, Washery & Coke Ovens. Prior to 1911 the Cwmtillery Coke Ovens were located in the grounds of Cwmtillery Colliery. Following is a Link  to – The original Coke Ovens at Cwmtillery Colliery The By-Product Plant. The map (left) shows the area in 1901, about ten years before the by-product plant, washery and coke works ... Read More »

Cwmtillery Colliery – Experiments with Iron Pit Props

Cwmtillery Colliery Experiments with Iron Pit Props. In October 1929 an article in the “Ebbw Vale Works Magazine” stated experiments with iron pit-props conducted at Cwmtillery Colliery had proved successful. The number of iron props in use were 12,107 and the number of flats were 2,177. As a result of the change from wooden props to iron props the timber ... Read More »

Cwmtillery Colliery – Steam Winder Indicator

Cwmtillery Colliery Steam Winder Indicator. Made of Brass. Size is 20″ x 3″inches. This brass hand used to indicate where the cages were in the shaft during winding. This indicator hand is from Cwmtillery Colliery, Abertillery. Taken from there when the steam winding engines were replaced with electrical winders sometime in the 1940’s or 1950’s. There were two winders in ... Read More »

The Cwmtillery Colliery

The Cwmtillery Colliery. The Cwmtillery Colliery, image taken from West Bank about 1911.   Points of interest – The colliery and grounds in the centre of the image with the company cottages either side of the valley once owned by the South Wales Colliery Company and constructed for the large workforce. On the left is the colliery feeder, flight buckets ... Read More »

error: Content is protected !!