Trade

Oak Street Cottages – Abertillery

Oak Street Cottages – Abertillery. The main image (featured above) taken sometime between 1905 and 1920 shows the Station Hotel, rebuilt in 1902 by Mr Noel Bagley, Building Contractor of Oak Street, Abertillery and the 3 attached cottages which at the time this image was taken belonged to Mr D. W. Morgan, The South Wales Argus Offices of Newport and Messrs ... Read More »

Photographers – Abertillery and District

Photographers – Abertillery and District. It’s generally accepted that the photographic procedure was introduced in 1839, this date is seen as the birth of photography. There were not many early photographs taken in and around the Abertillery district. The earliest I have seen is a very old image of Cwmtillery Colliery showing the old wooden headgear and the S.W.C.Co. trucks ... Read More »

Marenghi’s Cafe The Arcade – A Brief History

Marenghi’s Cafe History. In 1891 the Italian Guiseppe Tidaldi came to England, he set up in a partnership with Antonio and Louis Bracchi, his wifes cousin’s from Italy, they purchased a Cafe in Newport in 1896 under the name Bracchi & Co. In 1897 Guiseppe Tedaldi opened a cafe in Blaina and Blaenavon as Bracchi & Co but their partnership ... Read More »

Mr William Adams – Grocer of Somerset Street, Abertillery

Mr William Adams – Grocer. Mr William Adams (as seen in the main featured image above) was a native of Abertillery, born in 1870 son of Mr George Adams a Coal Miner from Blaina and Mrs Cecelia Adams of Llanhilleth. The family lived at the Co-operative Stores Building, Church Street, Abertillery. In 1880 Mr George Adams died at the age ... Read More »

Mr Harry Evans – Fruiterer, Poulterer and Grocer, Abertillery

Mr Harry Evans – Fruiterer, Poulterer & Grocer Abertillery. The business began in the mid 1880s when Mr James Mundy, and his wife Martha and family, were living at Abertillery and set up a Fish Monger & Grocery business at No10 Commercial Street, Abertillery, opposite what would become the Arcade. James and Martha had married in 1886 at the Congregational ... Read More »

Mr Titus Phillips and Family

Mr Titus Phillips. Mr Titus Phillips, was born in 1836 at Rudbaxton, Pembrokeshire, the son of Mr Thomas Phillips, the family lived on the estate of the father of Judge Owen at Cilgerran, Pembrokeshire. At a young age moved to Cwmtillery and worked at the Company’s Shop under Mr Treharne Rees. Mr Titus Phillips First Marriage and Family. Mr Titus ... Read More »

Mr David Francis Pritchard – The Western Valley’s Brewery Crumlin

Mr David Francis Pritchard – Crumlin. Mr David Francis Pritchard, was born in Llangynidr, Brecknockshire in 1848, the son of Mr Edward and Sarah Pritchard of Llanfrynach, Brecon. In 1880 Mr David F. Pritchard married Mary Durrant Gibbins. Mary Durrant Gibbins was born in Devonshire on 26th July 1852. A short while after they moved to Buchan Terrace, Rhymney and ... Read More »

H. Connop & Son Stores – Beaufort Street, Brynmawr

H. Connop & Son Stores – Brynmawr. During the 1870s Mr Henry Connop Snr was at Brynmawr with his wife Ann Connop nee Pickard. The store, H. Connop & Son situated at No54 Beaufort Street, Brynmawr (can be seen far left in the featured image above) Mr Henry Connop Snr. Mr Henry Connop Snr was born in 1818 at Coventry, Warwickshire, ... Read More »

Havard and Morgan – Aerated Mineral Water Manufacturers Nantyglo

Havard and Morgan – Aerated Mineral Water Manufacturers Nantyglo. Messrs Havard and Morgan consisted of the partnership of Mr William Griffiths Morgan and Mr Thomas Havard. Mr William Griffiths Morgan. Mr William Griffiths Morgan, born 1875 was the son of Mr Thomas Morgan and Martha Morgan nee Phillips. His father Thomas Morgan was a Wesleyan Minister originally from St Davids, ... Read More »

Oak Street Cafés and Refreshment Rooms

Oak Street Cafés and Refreshment Rooms. In the latter part of the 19th century quite a few Coffee Houses and Refreshment Rooms were being established in Abertillery. The area of Oak Street (as seen to the left on the featured image above) close to the Railway Station was ideal for these establishments. Mr Jordan’s Coffee Tavern. In the 1880s Mr William ... Read More »

error: Content is protected !!