Churches & Chapels

The Six Bells Congregational Church – The Rehoboth

The Six Bells Congregational Church – The Rehoboth. From the 1890’s, the congregationalists of Six Bells, Abertillery had held their religious meetings at the Hafod Van Reading Room, Six Bells. Over the years to follow the members of the church – a mission off-shoot of the Tabernacle Church looked toward more suitable accommodation, a church of their own in which ... Read More »

Blaenau Gwent Baptist Church – New Construction 1905

Blaenau Gwent Baptist Church. In 1715 the first Blaenau Gwent Chapel was constructed, members at this point numbered between 80 to 90. In 1839 the chapel was re-built at a cost of £500. In 1880 the chapel was again enlarged. In 1885 increased accommodation to the chapel was added and a larger schoolroom was erected. Towards the end of 1895 ... Read More »

St Mary’s Roman Catholic Church – Abertillery

St Mary’s Roman Catholic Church – Abertillery. The Roman Catholics in the area first made efforts to promote the Roman Catholic religion to the population of Abertillery in 1875. The main promoters at Abertillery were Mrs W. H. Brewer and Miss Brewer. It was reported that Abertillery was to be the leading Catholic village in the district. The Roman Catholic ... Read More »

St David’s Roman Catholic Church – Llanhilleth

St Davids Roman Catholic Church – Llanhilleth. The Roman Catholic Church at Llanhilleth was established fairly late compared to the other churches and chapels in the district. It was planned in November 1925 and built soon after at a site on Commercial Street, Llanhilleth. (More information to come). On 13th March 1931 the Catholic Church at Llanhilleth was solemnised. The ... Read More »

The Gobaith Church – Blaina

The Gobaith Calvinistic Methodist Church – Blaina. The Welsh Evangelists Howell Harris and Daniel Rowlands worked together to push Welsh Calvinism in Monmouthshire, though they both parted company and Howell Harris established a society at Gelli Crug, Cwmtillery, Abertillery, though it didn’t take off and soon became non-existent. Later the general conditions in the locality at that time was reported ... Read More »

The Ebenezer Church & Lecture Hall – Abertillery

The Ebenezer Baptist Church – Abertillery. The organisation originated in a split at the King Street Baptist Church when on Sunday 3rd December 1876 the Rev Llewellyn Jones left his ministerial post at King Street and took eighty-two members with him, with the intention of founding a new cause. The Ebenezer Church Site. Their new church was to be situated ... Read More »

St Michaels Church – Abertillery

St Michaels Church Abertillery. Abertillery in the 1830’s-40’s was practically non-existent, a few farms and one main small iron works owned by Mr Richard Walker of Trevethin, Pontypool, father-in-law to Mr William Webb, Brewster of Aberbeeg. Mr Walker’s Iron Works were situated where Tesco’s Supermarket is today. In the mid 1840’s Mr Walker went bankrupt and he sold the works. ... Read More »

The Hebrew Synagogue – Abertillery

The Hebrew Synagogue – Abertillery. In the late 1880’s there was a temporary synagogue for the Hebrew congregation at Bailey Street, Brynmawr. Reports mentioned it was at Heathcock House? The president was Mr B. Isaacs and the vice-president was Mr I. Isaacs. The minister was Rev Rocowsky. In February 1891 a fight broke out at the synagogue during the Saturday ... Read More »

Newall Street Primitive Methodist Chapel

Newall Street Methodist Chapel. On Monday 8th May 1905 at a council meeting plans were put forth for the erection of a Primitive Methodist Chapel at Newall Street, Abertillery. The chapel was built to ease the overcrowding at the Methodists Chapel on Somerset Street and was to be its sister chapel. In 1906 the building of the chapel started. It ... Read More »

The Primitive Methodist Chapel – Blaenau Gwent

Blaenau Gwent Primitive Methodist Chapel. The Blaenau Gwent Primitive Methodist Chapel is situated at the top of Ty Bryn Road, behind the Blaenau Gwent Rows. It was reportedly built in 1883. There is a date stone on the front of the chapel though I cannot verify the exact original construction date as no records are available at the present time. ... Read More »

error: Content is protected !!