Abertillery History

Abertillery Junior Rugby Football Teams – An Early History

The Abertillery Junior Rugby Teams. During the relatively short history of Abertillery, the town has had many teams in connection with rugby football, including the senior sides of Blaenau Gwent R.F.C., Abertillery, the various chapel and church teams, school teams along with the town’s junior teams including the Harlequins, Crusaders, Abertillery United, Wednesday’s team and the Boccolonians just to name ... Read More »

An Old Tyleryan’s Association Membership Card

An Old Tyleryan’s Association Membership Card. The Old Tyleryan’s membership card. Size 3″ x 4″ inches. Following is a Link to – The Old Tyleryan’s Association.                     This membership card belonged to Mr Jack Selwyn and was kindly donated by his daughter Mrs Judith Chamberlain. Read More »

Programme for the Official Opening of the Abertillery County School Playing Fields – Abertillery

Programme for the Official Opening of the Abertillery County School Playing Fields – Abertillery. This souvenir programme was issued to commemorate the official of the Abertillery County School Playing Fields on Thursday 16th March 1939. This programme belonged to Mr Jack Selwyn and was kindly donated courtesy of his daughter Mrs Judith Chamberlain. Front Cover. First Page. Centre Fold. Back ... Read More »

The Abertillery County School Grounds – Roseheyworth Road

The Abertillery County School Grounds – Roseheyworth Road. The County School Grounds were initially fields (as seen left) purchased by the council in 1921 upon which they intended to use as part of their housing scheme. They had been dumping refuse on its northern portion close to where the Millenium School, Roseheyworth Campus is situated today. The tip was halted ... Read More »

Market Street Abertillery – June 1908

Market Street – Abertillery in 1908. The photograph in the (main featured image above) was taken in June 1908. It can be dated to that precise time as the billboards outside the Market Hall are advertising Senor Jose Gomez the celebrated Spanish violinist who was booked to perform there in June 1908. Market Street was one of the main streets ... Read More »

The Glandwr Baptist Chapel – Aberbeeg

The Glandwr Baptist Chapel – Aberbeeg. The History of the Church. The following information on the history of the reverends at Glandwr, Aberbeeg between the 1660’s and 1897 was extracted from the M.S. of the Rev W. Jones and published in the South Wales Gazette in September 1906. Glan-y-dwr. Glan-y-dwr to the Baptists is a sacred and historic name. Before ... Read More »

Pubs and Clubs in Abertillery & District

Pubs and Clubs in Abertillery & District. Glo-Byllau Farm – Cider House. The Farm House Old Blaina Road. Welsh translation “Pools Of Coal”. Was known to sell cider in the 1800s. The Roseheyworth Club. Roseheyworth Estate. Constructed in 1962. The Clyn Mawr Hotel. Blaenau Gwent. The Crown Inn. Blaenau Gwent. One of the oldest Inn’s which was also a farm, ... Read More »

The New Bridgend Inn – Penybont

The New Bridgend Inn – Penybont. In the 1830’s the area of Penybont, Cwmtillery was owned by various landowners such as Mr William Morgan, Mr John James, Mr Thomas Brown Esq with Messrs Joseph and Crawshay Bailey and later Messrs Arthur K. and Percy K. Stothert of Bath owned the land on the eastern side. At the centre of the ... Read More »

error: Content is protected !!