Services

The Drill Hall – Abertillery

The Original Drill Hall – Abertillery. During the late 1890’s the Drill Hall at Abertillery was in a room above and which was part of the Castle Inn, Castle Street, Abertillery (as seen left, centre of the image). The Castle Inn and the old Drill Hall was opposite where the entrance into Tesco is today. It was used by the ... Read More »

Abertillery Gas Works

Abertillery Gas Works. Abertillery Gas and Water Company. In November 1866 the Abertillery Gas and Water Company was set up. The company was incorporated with the power to supply gas and water within the Parish of Aberystruth, Monmouthshire, to manufacture, sell and dispose of coke with residual products such as bricks, pipes and tiles. To deal in coal, lime, slates ... Read More »

The Early Council Authorities of Abertillery

Abertillery Council Authorities. The Old Aberystruth Rural Sanitary Authority. Abertillery was originally under the jurisdiction of the old Aberystruth Rural Sanitary Authority based at Blaina. The chairmen of the authority in the 1870’s were Mr Spencer and Mr James Phillips. Other members of the board were as follows – Mr Edmund Morgan; Mr Thomas Phillips; Mr J. R. Harding; Mr ... Read More »

Cwmtillery Reservoir

Cwmtillery Reservoir. Prior to the piped water network at Abertillery, residents had to rely on streams, water spouts and wells to obtain a fresh supply of water. As the town expanded and the population grew the need for water greatly increased. The Many collieries in the area put extra pressure on the supplies. At this time the population of Abertillery ... Read More »

Oak Street Cottages – Abertillery

Oak Street Cottages – Abertillery. The main image (featured above) taken sometime between 1905 and 1920 shows the Station Hotel, rebuilt in 1902 by Mr Noel Bagley, contractor of Oak Street, Abertillery and the 3 attached cottages which at the time this image was taken belonged to Mr D. W. Morgan, the South Wales Argus Offices of Newport and Messrs ... Read More »

Blaina and District Hospital

Blaina and District Cottage Hospital. On Thursday 26th December 1889 a meeting of the Nantyglo and Blaina Local Board took place. Those present were as follows – Mr Thomas Morgan presided in the absence of Mr John Dakers (Chairman); Mr E. Harris; Mr J. Bainton; Mr J. Allen; Mr Rosser Rosser; Mr W. Parry (Grocer); Mr G. R. Harris; Mr ... Read More »

Abertillery and District Hospital – Aberbeeg

Abertillery and District Hospital – Aberbeeg. The idea of some sort of hospital institution for the district of Abertillery was first raised in the late 1860’s a subscription scheme and fund was put into place and in 1870 donations were given towards the scheme to generate funds for its construction. At that time a few local doctors were holders of ... Read More »

Brynithel Cemetery – Abertillery

Brynithel Cemetery – Abertillery. The southern part of the Parish of Aberystruth (from Cwmtillery to Llanhilleth) initially had two major churches, the Parish Church of St Illtyds at Llanhilleth and the Blaenau Gwent Baptist Church, Blaenau Gwent, Abertillery. I don’t know when burials began at St Illtyds though the first person to be interred at Blaenau Gwent Baptist Church was ... Read More »

Messrs Ralph and Sons – Abertillery

Mr Samuel Ralph. Mr Samuel Ralph was born in 1865 at Cwmtillery, Abertillery, was the son of Mr Henry and Eleanor Ralph of Chapel Row, Cwmtillery. Samuel was the eldest of four sons, with William, Thomas and Alfred and a daughter Sarah. In about 1884 Mr Samuel Ralph moved from the family home at Cwmtillery, married Agnes Alice nee Jones ... Read More »

Six Bells Halt

Six Bells Halt. There had been proposals put forth for the construction of a railway station at Six Bells, Abertillery for many years, as early as the mid to late 1890’s when a group of gentlemen, residents of Six Bells, as follows – Mr Samuel Mills, Mr Henry Lewis, Mr James Jones, Mr George Cook, Mr Joseph Horler, Mr Isaac ... Read More »

error: Content is protected !!