Situated on the Western side of the Valley (as seen circled on the map) between Aberbeeg and Six Bells.
In 1863 the partnership of Messrs Latch and Cope leased a portion of land in the Six Bells valley from Messrs Capel Hanbury Leigh and opened the Arrail Colliery. On early documentation it was spelt Arall Colliery.
Mr Joseph Latch was born in Newport in 1793. He became a customs officer under King William IV. He later became the Mayor of Newport on several occasions and a colliery proprietor. I believe Mr William Cope was a Ship Company owner from Cardiff (more information to come).
In July 1880 the Colliery was for sale at auction, it was described as the Arall Colliery, Six Bells being close to the Monmouthshire Railway and Canal Company Railway at Aberbeeg. The colliery was held under lease from the late Capel Hanbury Leigh and was capable of an output of 100 tons per day. The land was 4 acres at a rental of 30s per acre for which two five room Cottages, Stable for nine horses, over loft, Smiths Shop, Weighing Machine and Office. The plant consisted of 5,000 yards of Tram-Plates, 60 Coal Trams, 100 5-ton Coal Wagons and Smiths Tools. Dead Rent of £300 per year merging in a royalty of 8d per ton of 2,520lbs
In 1884 the Arral Level and Llandavel Level was taken over by Messrs James and Emanuel with the manager being Mr T. F. Salt later owner of the Rhiw Colbren Levels Abertillery.
On the 1896 list they are still combined and worked under the same ownership and management, though on the 1908 list Arrail Level is not listed and the site of the level was slowly being consumed by the Six Bells Colliery waste tip.
The Arrail Level, Cottages, Smiths Works and Offices has long been buried below the waste tip from the Six Bells Colliery that Jones’ Bus Depot was and now Squire Cars is built upon. This waste tip was built up over the early years when the Six Bells was in production though when the site reached its limit the Lancaster Company erected the Flight up to the Arael Mountain (as seen on another page).