Llandavel Colliery Cwm Valley.
Llandavel Colliery was a Level and was mentioned in a report from April 1865 and being owned by Mr John Russell.
In 1880 as being owned by the Monmouthshire & Cwm Collieries Co. The Monmouthshire & Cwm Collieries Company was Messrs John and Richard Stanfield and Mr David Nurse. This partnership was dissolved in May 1900. The Workmans Cottages of Llandavel were built about 1873.
The Llandavel Level, Farm and Village at this point was under the control of the Abertillery Local Board as it fell within the Abertillery boundary.
In April 1882 Landavel Colliery along with the New Cwm Level was for sale on a reserve of £9,000. It was described as being 800 acres of Red Ash Coal and the sale included siding accommodation on the Great Western Railway, Plant and Machinery, 56 Coal Wagons, 90 Railway Wagons, 46 Coke Ovens capable of producing 46 tons of coke per day. Also 48 Workmans Cottages and a Farm on 76 acres.
In 1892 after a 2 year boundary change battle Abertillery Local Board conceded the Llandavel Area and the Ebbw Vale Board took control and gained the land. (full story on the Marine Colliery page).
In 1884 the colliery was combined with the Arral Level and taken over by Messrs James and Emanuel with the manager being Mr T. F. Salt later owner of the Rhiw Colbren Levels Abertillery.
Mr Rees Emanuel of Griffiths Town was originally from Carmarthen, he had been associated with coal mining from a young age and managed many Anthracite collieries in the Carmarthen area before coming the Monmouthshire to manage the Varteg collieries under Messrs Partridge Jones & Co and also been a partner in the Monmouthshire and Cwm Collieries Co with Messrs Richard and John Stanfield. In 1884 he joined into partnership with Mr W. P. James an J.P. from Abersychan and took over the Abersychan, Arral and Llandavel Collieries.
Mr Rees Emanuel also had interests in the Tirpentys Colliery and had shares in that company. He was a Welsh speaker and worked hard to keep the language alive in South East Wales. He sadly died in April 1904.
Mr W. P. James was a native of Abersychan and became chairman of the Monmouthshire Borough Council.
In January 1906 a serious landslip occurred at Cwm it completely demolished part of the Cwm Colliery and slid down to the Great Western Railway. A large number of men were needed to clear the debris.
In 1918 it was listed as being abandoned but still employing 40 men at that time.
In 1923 it was in the ownership of Messrs W. A. Boulton & Co of No 5 Canning Street, Cwm.
This Colliery and village is hard to find in documentation as it had so many different spelling variations of its name. – Llandaval, Llandavel, Llandafal, Llan-davel, Llan-dafell, Llan-y-davel , Llan-y-dafal and Llanydavel etc etc.