Marenghi’s Cafe History.
In 1891 the Italian Guiseppe Tidaldi came to England, he set up in a partnership with Antonio and Louis Bracchi, his wifes cousin’s from Italy, they purchased a Cafe in Newport in 1896 under the name Bracchi & Co.
In 1897 Guiseppe Tedaldi opened a cafe in Blaina and Blaenavon as Bracchi & Co but their partnership was dissolved in this year, Tidaldi kept the two cafe’s going.
Messrs Antonio and Louis Bracchi.
In late 1898 Antonio and Louis Bracchi came to Abertillery and opened a Cafe/Ice Cream parlour in the New Arcade – No5 the Arcade, High St, they also at this time had cafe’s in Abercarn, Newbridge and Newport.
Mr T. Tidaldi.
In 1902 the Bracchi Bros moved from the Arcade to No 6 Market Street, Abertillery and the Arcade premises were taken over by Mr G. Tidaldi though it seems as though the Bracchi Bros still owned the Arcade cafe No5 High Street.
In May 1903 the Bracchi Bros and the Tildaldi’s were fined for obstructing the main street in Abertillery with their Ice Cream carts while selling Ice Creams and Potatoes.
In late 1903 Messrs Tidaldi was a Company and Mr George Tidaldi was fined for selling Ice Cream from a cart which did not have his name written on the side.
Messrs Berni Bros.
In 1910 the Messrs Berni Brothers had taken over the Arcade Cafe and a Cafe in Somerset Street, Abertillery.
In 1911 Messrs Tidaldi & Co went Bankrupt.
In 1921 the Berni Brothers still had the Arcade Cafe.
Mr Louis Carpanini.
In August 1923 Mr Louis Carpanini was the proprietor of the Arcade Cafe.
Mr Emilio Marenghi.
By the late 1920s the Arcade Cafe No5 was in the hands of Mr Emilio Marenghi, it was a Cafe/Ice Cream Parlour, Teas, and other hot beverages and Tobacco products. Mr Marenghi married Miss Sally Morgan of No98 Oak Street Abertillery in December 1931.
In 1932 Mr Emilio Marenghi No5 Arcade Cafe Abertillery went bankrupt.
(More information to come)