Mr Alfred Prosser Williams 1849-1932.
Mr Alfred Prosser Williams – A. P. Williams born on 25th March 1849, was one of Abertillery’s most renowned building contractors.
He constructed the new Market Hall building, The Globe Hotel, The Abertillery Vicarage in Church Street and also re-built St Michaels Church, he built the Co-operative in Church Street. He built many schools including Blaentillery School, Queen Street School and Arael School, he built the Six Bells Miners Institute in Arrail Street along with many other buildings and he also re-built the Globe Picture House Blaina.
He lived in Gwentland House, Oak Street, Abertillery and was the first person in Abertillery to have a private telephone installed in his residence. Upon his retirement he went to live at Herbert Hall, Crickhowell, a family residence, he later came back to Blaina to supervise building work and lived at “Lismore House” New Bennett St, he sadly passed away in 1932.
His Mother was a direct descendant of the Vaughan’s of Tretower Court, Crickhowell also Davy Gam who was killed at the battle of Agincourt 1415, and Knighted on the battlefield by King Henry V. Sir Davy Gam was a Llewellyn by name and was from the Herbert and Vaughan families.