Mr C. E. Ricketts – Crumlin Monmouthshire

Mr C. E. Ricketts – Crumlin Monmouthshire

Mr C. E. Ricketts – Crumlin Monmouthshire.
A stoneware bottle from Mr C. E. Ricketts, Crumlin Monmouthshire.

This bottle has a firing fault in the neck, it was caused by a foreign body in the clay as it was being made, which caused the minor eruption in the kiln resulting in the small hole.   

Made from stoneware. Size 7″ x 3″.

Mr Charles Edmund Ricketts.
Mr Charles Edmund Ricketts was born in 1878 at Newbridge, his wife was Mrs Harriet Ricketts nee Jones born in 1876 at Abertillery. They were the licensees of the Viaduct inn and were also associated with the Newbridge Hotel. Mr Charles Edmund Ricketts was the son of Samuel and Amelia Ricketts innkeepers at Newbridge and the grandson of Charles and Margaret Ricketts also innkeepers at the Newbridge Inn .

Mary Ann Ricketts.
Miss Mary Ann Ricketts was the daughter of Charles and Margaret Ricketts of the Newbridge Inn, born 1859. Mary Ann married Henry Edwards in 1883 and were licensees of the Crumlin Viaduct Tavern.

The Death of Mr Charles Ricketts Senior.
In August 1886 Mr Charles Ricketts senior died and his executors leased the Viaduct Tavern to his son-in-law Mr Henry Edwards. In 1887 Mrs Mary Anne Edwards Henry’s wife was the licensee. Both Henry and Mary Ann had their own stoneware transfer print bottles manufactured with – H. Edwards and M. A. Edwards, ale & porter Crumlin. Edwards of Crumlin also manufactured aerated water which they supplied in glass Dobson patent Codd bottles, these bottles also had a pictorial of the Viaduct at Crumlin embossed into the glass.

Messrs Webb’s Aberbeeg.
In 1895 Messrs Webb’s of Aberbeeg were the owners of the Viaduct Tavern and Mrs Mary Anne Edwards remained licensee.

Mr John Charles Edwards.
In the 1900’s Messrs Webb’s of Aberbeeg were still listed as owners, Mr John Charles Edwards was licensee and the trustees were the Llanover Estate, under Lyne & Co.

Mr Thomas Jas. Bacon.
In 1912 Mr Thomas Jas. Bacon was licensee, Messrs Webb’s was listed as owners and the trustees were the Llanover Estate.

error: Content is protected !!