Mr Edward Jones of Partridge Jones & Co 1836-1903.
Mr Edward Jones was born in Talybont, Breconshire on the 4th December 1836, he attended Abergavenny Grammar School, he went on to become a mining pupil at Beaufort and became associated with Mr Crawshay Bailey. His first official appointment was on the management of the Varteg Colliery under Mr Crawshay Bailey. He later became known to Mr W. B. Partridge and a partnership was formed to take over the proprietorship of the Varteg Collieries and Iron Works.
Mr William B. Partridge was Crawshay Bailey’s great nephew and was living at Llanfoist House, he later left to live in Bacton Hereford but maintained a close partnership with Mr Edward Jones. This partnership worked well as Partridge Jones & Co an unlimited company and controlled the Varteg Colliery, 2 Blast Furnaces, and they also acquired the Plasycoed and Cwmsychan Slope with coal output just a few thousand tons per year.
In 1874 the whole concern was turned into a limited company undertaking under the style of Partridge Jones & Co Ltd.
In the late 1800s Mr Edward Jones was Managing Director and Mr W. B. Partridge was Chairman. The company’s collieries included Llanerch, Blaensychan, Gwenallt and Llanhilleth and Havod Van (House Coal) with that company employing over 3,000 men and a total output nearing 1 million tons per year.
Mr Edward Jones married Miss Williams from Brecon, they had 5 sons and 2 daughters. His eldest son was a Railway Engineer and was working in South Africa, his second son was a Mining Engineer and was working in the colliery with his father, the third son was in Commerce with the other 2 sons learning Medicine and the Bar at Cambridge University. Of the daughters, the elder was Mrs Leonard Llewellyn, wife of the Manager of the Clydach Vale Collieries and the younger was married to Mr John Paton, who was later to become a partner in the company.
Mr Edward Jones later become an Alderman and J.P., he lived at Snatchwood House, Pontypool and also resided at The Oaklands, Brecon.
Mr Jones contested the North Monmouthshire 1886 in the Conservative interest and polled 3,285 votes second to Mr Thomas Phillips Price a Liberal with 4,688 votes. Mr Jones was also the Chairman of the new South Wales Miners Conciliation Board and the part he played in assisting to bridge the differences between the masters and men which threatened a rupture in the early months earned for him the gratitude of the whole community of South Wales.
Mr Edward Jones was a member of the Abertillery Local Board and became their Chairman in 1893 though retired on its transformation from the Board into the District Council.
In 1897 Mr Edward Jones was instrumental in the formation of the Llanhilleth Miners Institute but sadly passed before his plans were completed. The negotiations were carried on and the building of the Institute went ahead in his honour.
Mr Edward Jones died on the 4th September 1903 at Snatchwood House, Pontypool.
In August 1907 a clock was placed on the front of the Institute, it was given by Messrs Jones of the Partridge Jones & Co in memory of Mr Edward Jones. It was the first public clock in Llanhilleth.