One of the earliest known collieries in the district, it was situated on the mountain slightly north west of the Aberbeeg Colliery with its tramway coming down towards the River Ebbw Fawr (as seen on the map).
The Penyvan Coal Company.
In the early 1800’s the Penyvan Coal Company had established the colliery and installed the tramway to connect with the Ebbw Vale and to the Nantyglo & Blaina tram road to the canal at Crumlin. The colliery was for sale in
The Sale of the Colliery.
In October 1808 the colliery was for sale along with the Penyvan Uchaf Farm. The tenant was Mr Moses Watkins.
Mr Edmund James.
In 1820 Penyvan Colliery was again put up for sale by the then owner Mr Edmund James. Mr Edmund James, in question, may have been the father of the eminent land owner and original timber merchant from Abertillery. The colliery produced coal and lime and was connected by a tramway to a valuable quarry of good quality building stone.
The Aberbeeg Collieries Company Ltd.
In 1876 the Aberbeeg Collieries Company Ltd purchased the Penyvan Colliery and were involved in a business partnership with the South Aurora Consolidated Mining Company, after having a series of debt problems the Aberbeeg Collieries Company Limited dissolved its partnership with the S.A.C.M.C and was wound up in March 1877.
(More information to come).