The Bush Hotel – Nantyglo.
The first known report of the Bush Inn, Nantyglo was printed in the Glamorgan, Monmouth and Brecon Gazette and Merthyr Guardian 25th May 1833. Mr Robins of the Bush Inn Nantyglo was taking bookings for emigration to the United States by sailing ship.
Mr George Robins.
The 1841 census shows Mr George Robins was landlord at the Bush Inn, Nantyglo. Mr George Robins was born in 1796. Mrs Mary Robins was born 1801. They lived at the Bush Inn with their family – Master George Robins born 1826. Master Richard Robins, born in 1826 and Miss Mary Robins, born in 1833.
In June 1850 it was reported in the Monmouthshire Merlin newspaper that Mr L. Mosely a surgeon dentist of 30 Berners Street, Oxford Street, London was visiting various hotels and public houses for consultation and the Bush Hotel, Nantyglo was one of those places he was in attendance at this time.
Mr John Lloyd.
On the 1851 census Mr John Lloyd was landlord at the Bush Inn, Nantyglo. Mr John Lloyd was born in 1800 at Mynydilswyn. Mrs Jane Lloyd was born in 1822 at Nantyglo. Living at the premises were – Miss Mary Jane Lloyd, born in 1851 at Nantyglo. Miss Mary Jane Guest, niece, born in 1830 at Holy Well, Flintshire. Mr Thomas Jones (House-Keeper) born in 1824 at Gloucester. Mr Richard Cors (Servant) born in 1791 at Gloucester. Mr William Bennett, (Bootman) born in 1835 at Hereford. Miss Margaret Harry (Waiter) born 1834. Miss Margaret Evan (Waiter) born in 1836. Miss Eliza Morgan (Waiter) born in 1832. Miss Margaret Davies (Nurse) born in 1826. Miss Ann Davies, (Cook) born in 1824. Miss Dinorah Evans (Chambermaid) born in 1827.
Mr John Lloyd and Pentwyn Farm, Govilon.
Mr John Lloyd owned an estate at Govilon. His property was Pentwyn Farm, Govilon, near Abergavenny. Mr Lloyd was a Sergeant in the Brynmawr Army Volunteer Corps.
During the 1850’s the premises was named the Bush Hotel as opposed to an Inn.
A New Market.
In 1854 a new market place was constructed. (More information to come).
The 1861 census Mr and Mrs John and Jane Lloyd were still landlord and landlady at the Bush Hotel, Nantyglo. Living with them were – Miss Mary Needham, granddaughter, born 1842 at Nantyglo. Also living at the address were Mrs Bridget Ann (Governess) born in 1825 at Clerow, Radnorshire. Miss Sarah Williams (Chambermaid) born in 1844 at Carmarthen. Miss Mary Williams (Servant) born in 1838 at Carmarthen. Miss Sarah Jones (Servant) born in 1839 at Bedwellty.
Mr William H. Williams.
On the 1871 census Mr William H. Williams and Mrs Marianne were landlord and landlady at the Bush Hotel, Nantyglo. Mr William H. Williams was born in 1836 at Abergavenny.
Mrs Marianne Williams was born in 1839 at Brecon.
Nantyglo & Blaina Iron Co Ltd.
In 1872-73 the Bush Hotel, Nantyglo was registered as being owned by the Nantyglo & Blaina Iron Co Ltd.
During the 1870’s Mrs Julia Murphy was listed as being a barmaid at the Bush Hotel, Nantyglo.
Mr Frederick Jonathan Stuckey.
During 1882-1883 Mr Frederick Jonathan Stuckey of the Bush Hotel, Nantyglo and Castle Stores, Brynmawr. Mr Stuckey was a licensed victualler, brewer and aerated water manufacturer. Went bankrupt in 1882. After bankruptcy Mr Stuckey sold his mineral water plant to Mr Charles Tucker a wine merchant of Abergavenny. Though stayed at the Bush Hotel until 1886.
Mr J. T. Jenkins.
In about 1887 ownership of the Bush Hotel, Nantyglo was transferred to Messrs J. T. Jenkins & Co of Tredegar. The Bush Hotel had its own brewery adjoining the premises.
Mr John Evans.
On the 1891 census Mr John Evans was licensee at the Bush Hotel, Nantyglo leased short term off Messrs J. T. Jenkins & Co of Tredegar.
Mr John Davies Williams.
In 1892 Mr John Davies Williams was licensee and leased the Bush Hotel off Messrs J. T. Jenkins & Co of Tredegar. Mr Williams was licensee until 1895.
Mr George Highfield.
In 1896 Mr George Highfield leased the Bush Hotel, Nantyglo. The Hereford and Tredegar Co took over the ownership in 1899.
Mr Richard Davies Williams.
In 1903 Richard Davies Williams was landlord 1903-1905. It was stated in the Bedwellty Publicans Report that the Hereford and Tredegar Co still owned the Bush Hotel though the ground landlords were the N. & B. I. Co Ltd. Mr Richard Davies Williams was landlord until 1905.
Mr A. E. Thomas.
In 1905 Mr A. E. Thomas was reported to be the landlord.
Fur and Feather Society.
In June 1909 the Fur and Feather Society held their meeting in the Bush Hotel, Nantyglo.
Mr R. L. Masters.
In July 1909 Mr Robert Leslie Masters (as seen left in the doorway of the hotel) took over the license from Mr A. E. Thomas. Mr R. L. Masters was born in 1870 at Icklesham, Sussex, England. His wife Mrs Edith Masters was born in 1867 at Kingsbridge, Devon, England. They lived at the Bush Hotel, Nantyglo with their family – Miss Edith May Master, born in 1891 at Southsea, Hampshire, (Certified Teacher). Miss Blanche Eveline Masters, born in 1893 at Southsea, Hampshire. Master Stuart Gerald Clark Masters, born in 1898 at Tipperary, Ireland. Master Robert Cyril Redvers Masters, born in 1900 at Southsea, Hampshire and Miss Gladys Eileen Master, born in 1907 at Ebbw Vale. Also at the address was Mr William Pritchard (General Servant) born in 1855 at Hereford. The official address of the Bush Hotel at this point was No.14 Market Road, Nantyglo.
Mr R. L. Masters had previously been a Sergeant-Instructor to the 1st Field Ambulance (R.A.M.C.) at Ebbw Vale.
Mr Alfred Henry Herbert.
In 1912 Mr Alfred Henry Herbert was landlord. The Hereford and Tredegar Co, owned the premises with the ground landlords being N. & B. I. Co Ltd.
Mr Edgar Webley.
In 1922 Mr Edgar Webley was reported as being the landlord at the Bush Hotel, Nantyglo.
Mr W. Davies or Mr Thomas Davies.
In 1927 Mr W. Davies or Mr Thomas Davies was reported as being the landlord at the Bush Hotel, Nantyglo.
Mr Wilfred Alfred James.
During the 1950’s Mr and Mrs Wilfred Alfred James and Patricia Clematis James were reported as being the licensees.
On Friday 16th February 1962 the South Wales Gazette reported the demolition of the Bush Hotel, Nantyglo in the Nantyglo and Blaina Council’s slum clearance scheme. It was stated that over forty houses on Market Road were cleared and knocked down and that during the demolition of the buildings a stone with the date 1790 was found.