The Colliers Arms – Abertillery.
Mr Richard Middleton.
The first mention of the Colliers Arms, Abertillery was in the 1860’s when Mr Richard Middleton was reported as being the owner and was also a contractor.
On the 1861 census Mr Richard Middleton lived at the Colliers Arms, Abertillery with his family – Mr John Middleton, brother, born in 1822 at Radnorshire. Mr Thomas Middleton, brother, born in 1827 at Radnorshire. Miss Margaret Middleton, sister, born in 1825 at Radnorshire. Miss Jane Middleton, sister, born in 1834 at Radnorshire and Miss Martha Middleton, born in 1838 at Radnorshire. Also living at the same address were – Master Anthony Jondrel, a nephew born in 1851 at Abertillery and Miss Jane Jondrel, a niece born in 1855 at Abertillery.
Mr Charles Reynolds.
On the 1871 census Mr Charles Reynolds a mason by trade was the landlord with his wife Anna Reynolds. Mr Charles Reynolds was born in 1830 in Somersetshire. Mrs Anna Reynolds was born in 1840 in Somersetshire, they lived at the Colliers Arms with their children – Miss Sarah Ann Reynolds, born in 1863 at Mynyddislwyn, Monmouthshire. Miss Jemima Reynolds, born in 1865 at Aberystruth. Miss Sarah Reynolds, born in 1867 at Aberystruth. Master Charles Henry Middleton, born in 1870 at Aberystruth. Also living at the address was Miss Jane Kinsey a servant born 1854 at Bedwellty.
Webb’s Brewers Aberbeeg.
In the Licensing Archives of 1875 shows the Colliers Arms, Abertillery was owned by Mr William Webb, Brewer of Aberbeeg.
In 1875 Mr Hancock was licensee at the Colliers Arms, Abertillery.
Mr Joseph Evans.
In 1877 Mr Joseph Evans, a haulier and innkeeper was landlord of the Colliers Arms, Abertillery.
On the 1881 census Mr Joseph Evans was born in 1831 at Ham, Somerset. His wife Mrs Annie Evans was born in 1831 at Ham, Somerset. They lived at the Colliers Arms, Abertillery with their children – Mr James Evans, born in 1861 at Abertillery. Miss Mary Evans, born in 1867 at Abertillery and Master Joseph Evans, son, born in 1871 at Abertillery. Also at the address were two boarders Mr Edward Templar and Mr Daniel Money: The Colliers Arms was still owned by Mr William Webb at this time.
The Death of Mr Joseph Evans.
In 1885 Mr Joseph Evans died at just 54 years of age. His wife Annie Evans took over the license of the Colliers Arms, Abertillery.
Mrs Annie Evans.
Throughout the early 1890’s until 1895 Mrs Annie Evans now a widow was license holder under the owners Messrs Webb Brothers. During this time Annie Mrs Evans lived at the Colliers Arms with her son Mr Samuel Evans a widower and Mr James Evans, son. Also living at the address were – Master James Evans, grandson, born in 1877 At Abertillery. Miss Susy Evans, grand-daughter, born in 1881 at Abertillery and Miss Mary E. Evans, grand-daughter, born in 1883 at Abertillery.
Mr and Mrs William Thomas Harvey.
From the late 1890’s Mr William Thomas Harvey and his wife Sarah J. Harvey nee Beard were landlord and landlady under the ownership of Messrs J.R. & T. A. Webb Ltd, Aberbeeg.
On the 1901 census Mr William T. Harvey, born in 1879 at Abertillery and Mrs Sarah J. Harvey nee Beard, born in 1879 at Abertillery were living at the Colliers Arms with their daughter Silvia Harvey, born in 1901 at Abertillery. Also living at the address were – Miss Sarah Jones a barmaid. Miss Harriet Beard a nursemaid and Miss Elizabeth Landon, a servant.
Mr William Ashley.
In 1906 Mr William Ashley was landlord at the Colliers Arms, Abertillery. Mr Ashley was a native of Cwmtillery and was licensee until July 1916 at which time he had a license transfer and became the landlord of the Royal Oak Inn, Abertillery.
On the 1911 census Mr William Ashley, born in 1864 at Abertillery and his wife Mrs Sarah Ann Ashley nee Bridge, born in 1864 at Pontypool, Monmouthshire lived at the Colliers Arms with their children – Miss Beatrice May Ashley, born in 1894 at Abertillery. Master William George Ashley, born in 1897 at Abertillery and Master Edgar John Ashley, born in 1904 at Abertillery. Also living at the premises was Miss Caroline Mary Powell a servant.
Mr William Henry Parsons.
In 1916 Mr William Henry Parsons became landlord of the Colliers Arms, Abertillery, he and his wife were licensees until 1922.
The Webb’s Western Valley Quoit League January 1921.
On Friday 14th January 1921 the South Wales Gazette printed the Webb’s Western Valley Quoit League team standings. The teams were as follows – The Lamb Inn, The Prince of Wales, The Commercial, The Cwm Hotel, The Royal Exchange, The Globe, Ebbw Vale. The Mitre Inn, The Colliers Arms, The Crown Inn, Blaenau Gwent. The Railway Inn, The Old Bridgend Inn, Aberbeeg C.C., The Abertillery D.S.D.S. and the South Wales Inn, Cwmtillery.
Mr William Henry Lyddon.
In 1922 Mr and Mrs Lyddon were licensees at the Colliers Arms, Abertillery. Mr and Mrs Lyddon were married at West Huntspill, Bridgewater in 1894, they came to Abertillery in 1895 where Mr Lyddon worked at the Tillery Penybont Colliery and later as an official at the Gray Colliery, Abertillery. Mr Lyddon retired in 1922 and took the license of the Colliers Arms, Abertillery.
In 1931 Mr Lyddon relinquished the licensing trade and worked for the Abertillery and District Water Board though at the time of the second world war he worked in the offices of the Arrael Griffin Colliery and for a twelve month was a member of the Home Guard, the then Local Defence Volunteers.
The Death of Mr William Ashley.
Mr William Ashley passed away in June 1931 and was reported to have been the oldest licensee in Abertillery.
Mr Richard Purchase.
In 1931 Mr Richard Arthur Purchase became landlord and he and his wife Mrs Mary Purchase who also acted as his agent were licensees at the Colliers Arms, Abertillery.
In April 1923 Miss Ethel Lyddon, daughter of Mr William Henry Lyddon married Mr Victor Coombes son of Mr and Mrs J. Coombes of 10 Bishop Street Abertillery and both lived at the Colliers Arms, Abertillery.
The Abertillery and District Dart League.
In the 1950’s the Colliers Arms featured in the Abertillery and District Darts League. The Colliers Arms were one of many teams in the two division dart league. The teams that featured were as follows – Division 1 – The Crown Inn “A”, The Colliers Arms, Aberbeeg Club, The Fountain Inn, The Hanbury Hotel “A”, The Cwm Hotel, Abertillery. The Lion Hotel, The Castle Hotel The Prince of Wales, The Coach and Horses, The Bell Hotel “B”, Somerset Hotel “A”, The Six Bells Hotel and The Mount Pleasant. Division 2 – The Clyn Mawr Hotel, Ralphs Club, The Hanbury Hotel “B”, The Bell Hotel “A”, The South Wales Inn, The Arrael Griffin Club, The Six Bells Club, The Royal Exchange, The Globe Hotel, The Railway Hotel, The Somerset Hotel “B”, The Crown Inn, Blaenau Gwent “B” and the Rolling Mill, Abertillery.
The Death of Mr Richard Purchase.
Mr Richard Arthur Purchase died April 1961 aged 69, he was a native of Blaenavon and lived at Abertillery most of his life, he had been landlord of the Colliers Arms for 30 years. Upon the death of Mr Purchase his widow Mrs Mary Purchase became landlady in her own right.
The Closure of the Colliers Arms, Abertillery.
The Colliers Arms, Abertillery closed in the mid 1960’s.
The information on the later landlords and landladies was kindly supplied courtesy of Mr Bryan Boots.
The Later Years.
In October 1966 the Welsh grocers Batemans Supermarket announced they were to open a store on the site of the old Colliers Arms, High Street, Abertillery. The pub was later demolished and the site taken over by Bateman’s Supermarket, among others, later Superdrug and more recently the furnishers Comfort Zone.