The Lamb Inn – Abertillery.
Mr George Gregory.
The first mention of the Lamb Inn, Abertillery was its entry in the 1871 census. Mr George Gregory was listed as a coalminer and also innkeeper of the Lamb Inn, Abertillery.
Mr George Gregory was the eldest son of Mr Moses Gregory and Mrs Ann Gregory, old inhabitants of Abertillery originally from Paulton, Somersetshire. Mr George Gregory was born in 1838 at Aberystruth and his wife Mrs Sabina Elizabeth Gregory nee Winmill, Sabina was the eldest daughter of Mr Joseph Winmill and Mrs Elizabeth Winmill licensees of the Royal Oak, Abertillery. Mrs Sabina Winmill born in 1841 at Caerleon, Monmouthshire. They married in 1864 and later lived at the Lamb Inn with their children – Miss Mariann Gregory, born 1866 at Aberystruth. Master Alban George Gregory, born in 1868 at Aberystruth and Miss Mary Ann Gregory, born 1870 at Aberystruth.
Mr William Webb.
In 1878 the Bedwellty Licensing records show that Mr W. Webb, Brewer of Aberbeeg was the owner of Lamb Inn, Abertillery. There was no mention of a tenant at the premises during this time.
Mr and Mrs Charles and Charlotte Collier.
In 1879 Mr and Mrs Charles and Charlotte Collier were licensees at the Lamb Inn, Abertillery. Mr Charles Collier was born in 1849 at Clutton, Somersetshire. His wife Mrs Charlotte Collier nee Winmill was born in 1855 at Abertillery. Mrs Charlotte Collier was the daughter of Mr Joseph Winmill and Mrs Elizabeth Winmill licensees of the Royal Oak, Abertillery. On the 1881 census they both lived at the Lamb Inn, Abertillery with their children – Miss Sarah A. Collier, born in 1874 at Abertillery. Miss Emma M. Collier, born in 1875 at Abertillery and Master Alfred C. Collier, born in 1878 at Abertillery.
The Order of Ancient Britons.
On Saturday 18th August 1888 the Merthyr Express reported that the Blackwood Order of Ancient Britons had held their four-monthly meeting at the Lamb Inn, Abertillery. A Mr Thomas Evans presided.
The Ancient Order of Foresters.
In October 1903 the local lodge of the Ancient Order of Foresters held a luncheon at the Lamb Inn, Abertillery.
Mr William Alfred Price.
In 1903 Mr William Alfred Price was landlord at the Lamb Inn, Abertillery. Mr William Alfred Price was born in 1867 at Aberbeeg, his wife was Mrs Florence Price, born in 1883 at Abergavenny. They both lived at the Lamb Inn, Abertillery with their children – Miss Lily Price, born in 1907 at Abertillery and Miss Phyllis Price, born in 1911 at Abertillery. Also living at the premises was Miss Ada Pople a servant from Bristol.
Mr William J. Thorne.
In 1918 Mr William J. Thorne was landlord.
The Webb’s Western Valley’s Indoor Quoit League.
In 1920 the Webb’s Western Valley’s Indoor Quoit League consisted of the following teams – The Lamb Inn, Abertillery. The Prince of Wales, Abertillery. The Cwm Hotel, Abertillery. The Royal Exchange, Blaenau Gwent. The Commercial, Abertillery. The Mitre Inn, Abertillery. The Globe, Ebbw Vale. The Colliers Arms, Abertillery. The Railway Inn, Abertillery. The Crown, Blaenau Gwent. The Old Bridge End Inn, Penybont. The D.S.D.S. (fore-runner to the British Legion Club), Abertillery. The Aberbeeg Cons Club and the South Wales Inn, Cwmtillery.
In May 1922 it was stated that the Lamb Inn, Abertillery had won the Challenge Cup and gold medals in connection with the Webb’s Western Valley Quoits League two years in succession. In season 1921-1922 they had won all their games, sixteen in total. Some of the team members during the 1920’s were as follows – Mr R. Giles; Mr S. Edwards; Mr S. Pratten; Mr H. Tovey; Mr B. Barnes; Mr W. Thorne; Mr W. Smith; Mr G. Summers; Mr T. Davies; Mr T. Dean; Mr E. Britton; Mr J. Slater; Mr F. Mason; Mr W. Swansbury; Mr L. Edwards; Mr J. Warren; Mr R. Randle and Mr E. Martin:
Mr Reuben William Leyshon.
In January 1924 Mr Reuben William Leyshon was landlord of the Lamb Inn, Abertillery.
Mr Thomas A. Lewis.
In 1948 Mr Thomas A. Lewis ex-landlord of the Tredegar Arms, Tredegar took over the licence of the Lamb Inn, Abertillery.
Mr Horace Lewis.
In 1951 Mr Horace Lewis was the landlord of the Lamb Inn, Abertillery. Upon the death of Mr G. R. Winstone of the Prince of Wales Hotel, his wife Mrs Ivy Winstone transferred the licence there to Mr Horace Lewis and Mr Lewis left the Lamb Inn. Before he left the Lamb Inn Mr Lewis transferred the licence of the Lamb Inn to Mr W. T. Morgan.
Mr W. T. Morgan.
In March 1951 Mr W. T. Morgan was licensee at the Lamb Inn, Abertillery.
Mr and Mrs James and Dolly Kendall.
In 1953 Mr James Kendall and Mrs Dolly Kendall were licensees at the Lamb Inn.
Webb’s Quiz League.
Throughout 1962 the Lamb Inn, Abertillery featured in the Webb’s Quiz League along with the following teams – The Victoria Hotel, The Bush Hotel, The Park Hotel, The Royal Exchange, The Commercial Hotel, Prince of Wales Hotel, The Clyn Mawr Hotel, The South Wales Inn, The Royal Oak Hotel, The Llanhilleth Hotel, The Railway Inn, The Mitre Inn and the Pentwyn Inn, Trinant.
The Closure of the Lamb Inn, Abertillery.
The Lamb Inn, Abertillery closed on Wednesday 29th March 1967. Mr and Mrs James Kendall were the last landlord and landlady at the Lamb Inn. During the mid to late 1960’s the three public houses – The Lamb Inn, Colliers Arms and the Prince of Wales all closed their doors for the last time.
The information on the later landlords and landladies was kindly supplied courtesy of Mr Bryan Boots.
The Later Years.
On Friday 4th August 1967 the South Wales Gazette reported on the re-housing of 43 residents of Royal Oak Terrace, Llanhilleth over fears of safety after their homes were condemned as unsafe by council officials. The Abertillery Council gave temporary accommodation to Mr and Mrs Wyndham Davies and their son Richard at the old Lamb Inn, Abertillery. It was reported the council took the decision to re-home them in the building after the brewery had closed the inn a few weeks previously.
Later the building was taken over and used as a carpet sales and showroom Powell’s Carpets and still trading as such today.