The Newport Abercarn Black Vein Steam Coal Company Limited – A Letter of Conformation of Share Certificate.
This letter of confirmation of a share certificate was given by the secretary of the company Mr J. E. Clark to gentleman (illegible) on the 20th January 1875. It is five shares in the company which at this time each share was £10 in value so a total of £50 of shares, the share value at this time is equivalent to approximately £5,400.00 in today’s money.
South Celynen Colliery.
The South Celynen Colliery originally known as just the Celynen Colliery was sunk by The Newport Abercarn Black Vein Steam Coal Company Limited between 1873 and 1876.
The company was started on the 17th February 1873 when communications between Mr John Cory, Mr Richard Cory Jnr, Mr Thomas Beynon and Theophilus John Beynon (trading under the name or firm of T. Beynon & Co), Mr Henry Russell Evans and Mr Frederick Henry Hogan took place. Prospectuses could be obtained from Mr Henry Russell Evans, Stockbroker of No.12 Great Dock Street, Newport, Monmouthshire.
The Newport Abercarn Black Vein Steam Coal Company Limited.
Set up in 1873.
John Holman Esq, Steamship Owner (London, Exeter and Topsham);
John T. Bowden Esq (34 Leadenhall Street and Kennebee House, Beckenham, Kent);
John Cory Esq (Cory Brothers & Co., Colliery Proprietors, Cardiff and London):
Chairman – Henry Cecil Raikes Esq M.P., (Llwyngrin Hall, Flintshire and 95 Onslow Square, London);
Managing Director – Thomas Beynon Esq, J.P., (T. Beynon & Co, Colliery Proprietors, Newport, Mon):
Bankers – Imperial Bank, (Lothbury, London);
West of England and South Wales District Bank (Newport, Mon):
Solicitors – Messrs Keighley and Gething (7 Ironmonger Lane, London);
C. R. Lyne Esq (Bank Chambers, Newport Mon):
Auditors – Messrs Johnstone, Cooper, Wintle and Evans (3 Coleman Street Buildings, Moorgate Street, London):
Secretary – J. D. Shakespear Esq:
Offices – No1 & 2 Mansion House Buildings (Queen Victoria Street, London:
N.B. Other gentlemen joined the board after this date.
The prospectus stated – In March 1873 the company was formed for the purpose of acquiring and working the very valuable leasehold property known as the Celynen Estate, Abercarn, Monmouthshire. The property was one of the most extensive mineral takings in South Wales being about 1,200 acres in extent. Additional properties of several hundred acres are commanded by the estate and may be secured if desired.
The property adjoins the that of the Abercarn Collieries belonging to the Ebbw Vale Company and bounded by the vast establishments and collieries of the Nantyglo & Blaina Company, the Ebbw Vale Company and the Tredegar Company.
The Sinking of the Colliery.
On 17th April 1873 tenders were invited for the “Sinking of Three Shafts” at the Celynen. On Tuesday 27th May 1873 the ceremony of cutting the sod was reported and on Saturday 25th November 1876 celebrations took place on the occasion of the finishing of the sinking process.