The Prince of Wales Inn – Abertillery.
Mr John Thomas.
The first mention of a Prince of Wales Inn, Abertillery was in 1854, the Monmouthshire Merlin newspaper on Friday 29th December 1854 reported on a Forester’s Festival held the previous Tuesday 26th December 1854. The Forester’s Lodge held a meeting at the Prince of Wales, the house of Mr John Thomas and enjoyed their first dinner.
Mr Henry Edwards.
In 1865 Mr Henry Edwards was licensee at the Prince of Wales, Abertillery.
Mr Henry Edmunds.
In 1870 Mr Edmunds was licensee of the Prince of Wales Inn. Mr Edmunds was born in 1836 at Bassaleg, Newport and his wife Mrs Sarah Ann Edmunds nee Thomas, born 1840 at Tredunnock, Monmouthshire. They lived at the inn with their children Master Thomas Edward Edmunds, born 1859 at Abertillery. Miss Sarah Jane Edmunds, born 1862. Master Charles Francis Edmunds, born 1864. Master William Henry Edmunds, born 1866. Master John Zachariah Edmunds, born 1868. Miss Mary Louisa Edmunds, born 1870. Mr Henry Edmunds was listed as a carpenter and builder. Also living at the inn were – Mrs Mary Thomas, mother-in-law and Miss Mary Jane Hargest a niece.
Mr Zachariah Thomas.
In 1872 Mr Zachariah Thomas owned the Prince Of Wales Inn, Abertillery. Mr Henry Edmunds was licensee. On the 1871 census a Mr William Zachariah Thomas was living opposite the Prince of Wales at Church Street, Abertillery, he was listed as an outfitter and according to Ancestry was born at Tredunnock, he may have been a relation of Mrs Edmunds who’s maiden name was Thomas and she was also born at Tredunnock.
The Death of Mr Henry Edmunds.
In 1876 Mr Henry Edmunds died. His widow Sarah Ann Edmunds became owner and licensee.
The Death Of Mr Zachariah Thomas.
In 1877 Mr Zachariah Thomas died he left all his estate to Mrs Sarah Ann Edmunds which seemed to have included the Prince of Wales Inn.
Mr Sarah Ann Edmunds.
In 1881 Mr Sarah Ann Edmunds was the owner of the Prince of Wales Inn. Mrs Edmunds was a widow, innkeeper and lived at the Prince of Wales Inn with her son Mr Thomas Edward Edmunds, born 1859 a carpenter by trade. Master William Henry Edmunds, born 1866 and Master John Zachariah Edmunds, born 1868.
Mrs Anna Harris.
In 1886 the Prince of Wales Inn, Abertillery was still owned by Mr Sarah Ann Edmunds and the licensee was Mrs Anna Harris.
Mr and Mrs William and Martha James.
In 1887 Mrs Martha James was licensee and the inn was still owned by Mr Sarah Ann Edmunds. In the late 1870’s Mr and Mrs James had been licensees of the Somerset House, Abertillery. Mr William James was born in 1823 at Pembrokeshire, Wales and was a coalminer and inn keeper. Mrs Martha James, born 1822 at Monmouthshire.
Mrs Sarah Ann Edmunds Loan.
In 1891 Webb’s Brewery records show that Mrs Sarah Ann Edmunds borrowed £700 from the brewers. It stated that Messrs J. R. & T. A. Webb were her tenants, they could stay there rent free until the loan was paid. At this time Mrs S. A. Edmunds also owned property at Usk, Monmouthshire.
In 1891 Mrs Sarah Ann Edmunds was living at 2 Somerset Street, Abertillery with her sons Mr Thomas Edward Edmunds, Mr John Zachariah Edmunds, Thomas Edward Thomas her grandson and Mrs Catherine Edmunds her sister-in-law.
Messrs Webb Aberbeeg.
In 1892 Webb’s Brewers of Aberbeeg owned the Prince of Wales Inn, Abertillery and from 1892 to 1895 Mrs Martha James held the license. I am not sure if Mrs Sarah Ann Edmunds defaulted on the loan or she sold out to the Webb Brothers?
Mr William James.
In 1896 Mr James, a grandson of Mr and Mrs James was listed as being the licensee and was looking after the pub for his grandfather Mr William James.
Mr John Zachariah Edmunds.
In 1901 Mr John Zachariah Edmunds was listed as licensee and Messrs J. R. & T. A. Webb were the owners. Mr Edmunds was the eldest son of Mrs Sarah Ann Edmunds, had taken over the license and was living at the Prince of Wales Inn with his wife Mrs Harriet Edmunds, born in 1867 at Swansea and their children – Master William H. Edmunds, born 1890 at Pontardawe, Glamorgan and Miss Doris M. Edmunds at Brockweir, Gloucestershire. Also living at the inn were – Miss Polly Redick a servant from Coleford, Somerset and Miss Ethel Morgan a nurse from Abertillery:
The Sale 1902.
On Wednesday 22nd October 1902 the Prince of Wales, Abertillery was put up for sale at auction at the Westgate Hotel, Newport. The bidding started at £2,000 though the property was withdrawn at £6,500.
Mr A. E. Patey.
In the early 1900’s Mr Arthur Edwin Patey was licensee of the Prince of Wales Hotel, Abertillery. Mr A. E. Patey was the son of Mr and Mrs William and Eliza Patey of Somerset. William Patey was a railway inspector. Arthur Edwin Patey was born in Cardiff in 1878. In 1897 he married Miss Laura Constance May Weare of Usk, born 1878. They had a son Trevor Patey born in 1899 and the family moved to Abertillery and Mr Patey was a stone mason by trade though became landlord of the Prince Of Wales Inn, Abertillery.
The Reconstruction of the Prince of Wales Inn.
On Friday 4th December 1903 the South Wales Gazette printed the intention of the owners Messrs Knight and Patey to erect a new hotel on the site of the Prince of Wales Inn, Abertillery at a cost of £2,000. The architect was Mr R. L. Roberts. After its reconstruction the Prince of Wales was classed as a hotel. Mr Knight was Mr Henry Daniel Knight a butcher by trade from Abertillery, he was also a partner to Mr Frank Patey of the Mount Pleasant, Blaenau Gwent.
In 1906 Mr A. E. Patey left and became landlord of the Coach and Horses, Six Bells.
Mr Edwin Adams.
In 1907 Mr Edwin Adams was licensee of the Prince of Wales Hotel, Abertillery.
Mr George H. Rawlings.
In 1913 Mr George H. Rawlings was licensee of the Prince of Wales Hotel, Abertillery.
The Webb’s Western Valley Quoit League January 1921.
On Friday 14th January 1921 the South Wales Gazette printed the Webb’s Western Valley Quoit League team standings. The teams were as follows – The Lamb Inn, The Prince of Wales, The Commercial, The Cwm Hotel, The Royal Exchange, The Globe, Ebbw Vale, The Mitre, The Colliers Arms, The Crown, The Railway, The Old Bridgend Inn, Aberbeeg C.C., The Abertillery D.S.D.S. and the South Wales Inn, Cwmtillery.
Mr and Mrs W. D. Price.
In 1945 Mr and Mrs W. D. Price were licensees of the Prince of Wales Hotel, Abertillery.
Mr and Mrs Glyndwr and Ivy Winstone.
In 1949 Mr and Mrs Glyndwr Roy Winstone and Ivy Winstone were licensees of the Prince of Wales Hotel, Abertillery. Mr Winstone was a victim of the Llandow Air Disaster, at the Vale of Glamorgan in 1950.
A Tribute to a Sportsman.
On Sunday 19th March 1950 a moving ceremony took place at Abertillery Park where the last wish of Mr Glyndwr Roy Winstone, landlord of the Prince of Wales Hotel was carried out. As mentioned Mr Winstone was a victim of the Llandow Air Disaster, he had asked that his ashes be scattered over the field at the park so that he could be present at every match. The ashes were scattered by his son Mr Stanley Roy Winstone assisted by Mr G. A. Fairclough, also present were – Councillor G. R. Shingler J.P. (Chairman of the Council); Mr H. J. Williams (Clerk of the Council); Mr W. E. Hodges and Mr D. Morgan MM, (Councillors):
(More details below).
Mr Horace Lewis.
In March 1951 Mr Lewis transferred from the Lamb Inn, Abertillery and became licensee of the Prince of Wales Hotel, Abertillery. Mrs Lilian Martin was the agent for Mr Lewis and worked as barmaid at this time.
The Abertillery and District Dart League.
In the 1950’s the Colliers Arms featured in the Abertillery and District Darts League. The Colliers Arms were one of many teams in the two division dart league. The teams that featured were as follows – Division 1 – The Crown Inn “A”, The Colliers Arms, Aberbeeg Club, The Fountain Inn, The Hanbury Hotel “A”, The Cwm Hotel, Abertillery. The Lion Hotel, The Castle Hotel The Prince of Wales, The Coach and Horses, The Bell Hotel “B”, Somerset Hotel “A”, The Six Bells Hotel and The Mount Pleasant. Division 2 – The Clyn Mawr Hotel, Ralphs Club, The Hanbury Hotel “B”, The Bell Hotel “A”, The South Wales Inn, The Arrael Griffin Club, The Six Bells Club, The Royal Exchange, The Globe Hotel, The Railway Hotel, The Somerset Hotel “B”, The Crown Inn, Blaenau Gwent “B” and the Rolling Mill, Abertillery.
Mr Dennis Bell.
In 1954 Dennis and Blanche Bell with Ivor and Marjory Nicholas were licensees at the Prince of Wales Hotel, Abertillery. Both families moved from London to take the license as joint tenants at the Prince of Wales Hotel. In 1958 Dennis and Blanche Bell moved from Abertillery to be licensees at the Royal Oak pub in Merthyr Tydfil.
Mr Stanley Charles Thomas.
In 1958 Mr Stanley Charles Thomas was listed as living at the Prince of Wales Hotel, Abertillery. I’m not sure if he was a licensee or a tenant at the hotel.
Webb’s Quiz League.
Throughout 1962 the Prince of Wales Hotel, Abertillery featured in the Webb’s Quiz League along with the following teams – The Victoria Hotel, The Bush Hotel, The Park Hotel, The Royal Exchange, The Commercial Hotel, The Clyn Mawr Hotel, The South Wales Inn, The Royal Oak Hotel, The Lamb Inn, The Llanhilleth Hotel, The Railway Inn, The Mitre Inn and the Pentwyn Inn, Trinant.
Mr Robert Williams.
In 1964 it was reported that Mr Robert Williams was the licensee of the Prince of Wales Hotel, Abertillery.
The Closure of the Prince of Wales Hotel, Abertillery.
I cannot find any date or report of the closure of the Prince of Wales, though in March 1965 they were selling wash stands, dressing tables and beds etc from the premises. The hotel didn’t feature in later sports leagues and at this time during the mid to late 1960’s the three public houses – The Lamb Inn, Colliers Arms and the Prince of Wales all closed their doors for the last time.
In April 1966 Edwards Ironmongers of Abertillery advertised they had taken the Prince of Wales Hotel building and were to start trading on Monday 2nd May 1966.
The Later years.
After the departure of Edwards Ironmongers the old Prince of Wales building was used as a Discount Store and Kutz & Kurlz Hairdressers.
The information on the later landlords and landladies was kindly supplied courtesy of Mr Bryan Boots.
Point of Interest –
The Llandow Air Disaster.
On March 12th 1950 Mr Glyndwr Roy Winstone was tragically killed in the Llandow Air Disaster. Mr Winstone was in a party of Abertillery rugby fans along with supporters from Abercarn, Risca and Blaenavon returning home from a rugby five-nations game in Ireland. They were travelling in an Avro Tudor aeroplane named “Star Girl”. While coming in to land at Llandow in the Vale of Glamorgan, South Wales the plane struggled at low altitude and as the pilot increased the power the engines stalled, the aeroplane hit the ground and came to rest in a field close to the village of Sigingstone. There were 83 onboard, 78 passengers and 5 crew, only three survived.
Along with Mr Winstone were Mr Brinley Austin Jones, Mr Ivor John Jones and Mr William Henry Jones three brothers of the Jones Omnibus Company at Aberbeeg and two gentlemen from Blaina Mr Jessie Evans and Mr George H. Prior were all tragically killed.
Just three-weeks after the disaster on April 5th 1950 the daughter of Mr Brinley Austin Jones of Pantypwdyn Road, Abertillery was killed in a road accident. The South Wales Gazette reported Miss Sheila Ann Jones aged 5 years was playing hop-scotch outside her home on Pantypwdyn Road, a lorry appeared and she and her friends jumped onto the pavement out of its way, seeing she had left her hop-scotch piece on the road she tried to retrieve it, she did but got hit by the lorry while trying to get back to the pavement. The lorry driver saw the little girl and swerved to avoid her though she moved the same way and jumped in front of the vehicle.