The Limes House, Abertillery House – Abertillery. The Limes House (as seen middle left on the featured images above surrounded by trees and just behind the railway lines) was originally called Abertillery House. It was one of the oldest premises in the area. Abertillery House. In Mr Edmund Jones first book written in 1779 called “The History of Aberystruth” he …
Read More »Abertillery History
Briggs Boot & Shoe Company – Somerset Street
Messrs Briggs & Co Boot and Shoe Manufacturers. Messrs Briggs & Co were Mr William Edwin Briggs and his son Mr Arthur Edwin Briggs, a family of boot and shoe manufacturers from Leicestershire. Messrs Briggs had stores in all major towns with many in South Wales, including, Brynmawr, Risca, Blackwood, Abercarn, Ebbw Vale and Newbridge. In the early 1900’s the …
Read More »The Ebenezer Church & Lecture Hall – Abertillery
The Ebenezer Baptist Church – Abertillery. The organisation originated in a split at the King Street Baptist Church when on Sunday 3rd December 1876 the Rev Llewellyn Jones left his ministerial post at King Street and took eighty-two members with him, with the intention of founding a new cause. The Ebenezer Church Site. Their new church was to be situated …
Read More »The Gaen Brothers – Building Contractors
The Gaen Brothers, Building Contractors. The Gaen Brothers comprised Mr Thomas Gaen, born 1862, Mr Charles Gaen, born 1864 and Mr Frederick Gaen, born 1869. The family were from Langton Matravers, Dorset, the sons of Mr John Thomas Gaen and Ellen Jane Gaen nee Brown. Their father was a stone mason and all three sons entered the trade at an early age …
Read More »The Foundry Bridge Abertillery – A Brief History
The Foundry Bridge Abertillery. In the 1830’s Abertillery was divided by the River Tyleri, to the east was Cwmtillery and to the west Abertillery. In the 1850’s the lane leading up past the British School to where Alma Street would later be, was called the Parish Road, this was the official dividing line. In the mid to late 19th century …
Read More »The F. W. Woolworth Store – Abertillery (1931-2009)
The F. W. Woolworth Stores. The Woolworth empire was started by Mr Frank Winfield Woolworth aided by his brother Mr Charles Sumner Woolworth in 1879 trading under Woolworth Bros. His first store at Utica, New York was started but with limited success, he relocated to Lancaster, Pennsylvania and later to Harrisburg, Reading and Scranton. These stores were called the “Five …
Read More »Lower Glandwr Street and the King’s Head Area 1960
Lower Glandwr Street and the King’s Head Area 1960. A map showing the area of the King’s Head and lower Glandwr Street 1960. This is the same area as seen on the photographic image from 1902-03 but with the Black Bridge now moved further north as mentioned. Following is a Link to – An image of this area from 1902-03.
Read More »Lower Glandwr Street 1902-03
Lower Glandwr Street 1902-03. A portion of an old image showing the lower section of Glandwr Street (in the foreground) after the completion of the houses. Also showing the houses of Park View Terrace (as seen bottom right) under construction. The Kings Head Level Crossing. The Kings Head area originally had a railway level-crossing, in July 1901 the level-crossing was …
Read More »The Liberal Club Abertillery – List Of Members 1902 to 1925
The Liberal & Labour Club Abertillery – The Central Snooker Club. Abertillery Liberal & Labour Club. List of the founding members 1902 and thereafter up to 1925. The Central Club and Institute, Foundry Bridge, Abertillery. March 1902 – March 1925. 1902. Mr G. Selby, 43 Alma Street, Insurance Agent. Mr J. Boots, 14 Ashfield Road, Insurance Agent. Mr G. G. …
Read More »Mr Jack Cable.
Mr John (Jack) Cable. Mr John Cable, known as Jack, was born on the 24th of September 1886 at Abertillery, the son of William and Martha Cable of 1 Penybont Road, Cwmtillery. In this story I will refer to him as Jack. Two of his uncles (his father’s brothers) George and Silas Cable were sadly killed in the 1876 Cwmtillery …
Read More »