Penybont Tillery Colliery – Early History

Penybont Tillery Colliery – Early History

Messrs Thomas Protheroe Price & D. Price Esq.
Between 1846 and 1848 the sinking of the Penybont Tillery Colliery began on the Greenmeadow Estate, Penybont, owned by Mr Stothert, of Bath.

Mr Daniel Williams.
In September 1849 during its sinking, Mr Daniel Williams (Pit Sinker and Engineer) fell 240′ feet down the Penybont Tillery Colliery. Luckily there was some water at the bottom which seemed to have broken his fall, he was off work for a few weeks though recovered fully and he was back in work. The report stated that a few years earlier he had fell 90′ feet down a pit at Abersychan.

The Sinking.
In November 1850 Messrs T. P. & D. Price had sunk the Penybont Tillery Collieries. The Monmouthshire Merlin newspaper stated they had reached the steam coal and gave the Workmen a celebrational dinner held at the Bridge End and White Horse Inns for the Mechanics and Sinkers and at the Bush Inn for Messrs Price and friends.

Messrs Bevan and Brewer 1863 – 1864.
In 1863 Messrs Bevan and Brewer took over the workings.

Messrs G. P. Bevan & Co 1864 – 1864.
In 1864 Mr G. P. Bevan & Co leased and run the Penybont Tillery Collieries.

The Death of Mr Protheroe Price.
In 1864 Mr T. P. Price sadly passed away.

Messrs G. E. Bevan & Co 1864-1868.
In 1864 Messrs G. E. Bevan & Co of (Northampton, Hereford and Bristol) took over the Penybont Tillery Collieries. Messrs G. E. Bevan & Co leased and run the collieries. In 1863 Messrs G. E. Bevan (Northampton, Hereford and Bristol) leased the Golynos Works and sold the same works in 1867.

In 1863 Messrs Jayne and Meadhouse converted a part of the Llanelli Works into a tin plate manufactory. 

In 1870 Messrs Jayne and Co consisted of Mr John Jayne, Mr Richard and Mr Samuel Harvey Twining, Bankers, The Strand, Middlesex.

Messrs Jayne & Co.
In 1868 the Penybont Tillery Collieries were working under the name of Messrs Jayne.

In 1869 the Penybont Tillery Collieries were owned by Mr John and Basil Jayne and Mr George Finlay.

Mr John Jayne – 1868-1873.
Mr John Jayne J.P. for the county of Breconshire and also the High Sheriff for the county in 1872.  Mr John Jayne was born in 1804 at Blaenavon. At an early age he entered into the services of Twining & Co Bankers and Tea Merchants of London. He later managed the provision stores of the Clydach Iron Company for several years then moved on to undertake a similar job at the Nantyglo Iron Works but on a larger scale.

In 1856 he became a director of the Monmouthshire Wagon Company with Messrs M. Morrison and C. Bailey etc.

In 1858 he became a director of the Merthyr and Abergavenny Railway Co along with Mr Crawshay Bailey etc.  After he retired he went on to become the chief proprietor of the Milfrean Hill and Abertillery Collieries.

Brynmawr Coal Company 1873 – 1877.
The company was set up in 1873 by Mr Basil Jayne. Mr Basil Jayne – Mr John Jayne’s son became chairman of the newly set-up Brynmawr Coal Company and they acquired all the mining assets from Mr John Jayne and purchased the Milfrean and Tillery Collieries in 1873. 

The Brynmawr Coal Company – The original Company set up in 1873.
The Directors – Mr John Henry Benham Esq (Stafford House, Camden Road London); Mr J. W. Dixon Esq (West Lodge, Clapham Common); Mr W. H. Forester (Sketty Park, Swansea) Iron Master; Mr Thomas Greatrex Esq (Farmwood, Newport) Director of the Monmouthshire Railway; Mr W. E. Jayne Esq (Danybont House, Abergavenny) and Lord William Phipps (Mulgrave Castle, Whitby):
Managing Director – Mr Basil Jayne Esq (Pant-y-Baliea House Abergavenny):
Bankers – Twining Tea and Company (215 The Strand, London); The National Provincial Bank of England, London and Abergavenny:
Solicitors – Messrs Tilleard, Godden and Holme (34 Old Jewry, London):
Brokers – Messrs Moore and Greatrex (17 Throgmorten Street, London):
Secretary – James Fraser (7 Bank Buildings, Lothbury, London):
Offices – Brynmawr, South Wales:

Mr Basil Jayne and Co.
In 1877 the Brynmawr Coal Company was wound up in 1877 and Mr Basil Jayne and Co purchased the Penybont Tillery Collieries in there own right.

The Brooklyn Steamer.
On the 6th May 1881 the steamer “The Brooklyn” of the Dominion Line made a fast crossing of the Atlantic Ocean in just 7 days. It had departed from Quebec and on its arrival at Liverpool it was reported that it was using Messrs Jaynes Tillery Steam Coal.

Thomas Wilde Powell of The Powell’s Tillery Steam Coal Company 1882-1897.
In 1882 Mr Thomas Wilde Powell took over the company and formed the Powell’s Tillery Steam Coal Company, the colliery was thereafter known as Powell’s Tillery Colliery. Mr Thomas Wilde Powell, was a solicitor, philanthropist, banker, broker and art collector etc, lived in Piccards Rough, Guildford, Surrey, England. His wife was Mary Elizabeth Powell nee Marten. In 1884 Mr Powell  paid for the erection the Tillery Reading Rooms, Abertillery and was also instrumental in having the Powell’s Tillery Institute built in April 1898, though sadly died in January 1897 before its completion. He had an estate in Western Australia, and left a personal estate that was valued at £195,508, 5s. 9d. the equivalent to £11.407.763 in today’s money.

At the time of his death, Mr T. W. Powell was in the company of Heseltine, Powell & Co. Stockbrokers.

The Powell Family.
Mr Charles Marten Powell.Mr Charles Marten Powell, son, a surgeon.

Mr Thomas Edmund Powell.
Mr Thomas Edmund Powell, son, a stockbroker. Mr T. E. Powell later became the director of Powell’s Tillery Company from the time of his father death in 1897. Mr Powell opened the Powell’s Tillery Institute along with his sister Christiana Herringham in 1898. Mr Thomas Edmund Powell died in 1901.

Mr Herbert A. Powell.
Mr Herbert A. Powell, son, a doctor. Mr Herbert A. Powell took over the directorship of the company after the death of his brother Mr T. E. Powell 1901. Mr H. A. Powell opened the Tillery Institute Gymnasium, Abertillery in 1902, he was presented with a gold key by the architect with which to open the gymnasium.

Lady Christiana Herringham.
Lady Christiana Herringham, nee Powell, daughter, (1852-1929) married physician, Sir Wilmot Parker Herringham K.C.M.G. C.B. (1855-1936) in 1880.

Lady Christiana Herringham was a prominent painter. Christiana opened the Powell’s Tillery Institute, Abertillery, along with her brother Mr Thomas Edmund Powell in 1898, she was presented with a golden key by the architect with which to open the institute.

Mr Powell’s other children were –
Miss Eleanor Grace Powell.
Miss Rosamond Powell.
Miss Agnes Powell.
Miss Theodora Powell.
Mrs Mary Elizabeth Turner.

Mrs Mary Elizabeth Turner nee Powell, daughter. Mary Elizabeth was married to Mr Hugh Thackeray Turner (Architect, China Painter) – Their daughter Ruth Turner married Mr George Leigh-Mallory (Mountain Climber).

The Ebbw Vale Steel Iron and Coal Company 1916 –
On July 10th 1916 negotiations began to acquire the collieries belonging to the Powell’s Tillery Steam Coal Co Ltd by the Ebbw Vale Steel, Iron and Coal Co Ltd & T. Beynon and Co Ltd.
The new directors consisted of Mr J. W. Beynon the head of T. Beynon and Co and the director of the Ebbw Vale Company; Mr Frederick Mills (Managing Director); Sir Henry Mather Jackson Bart; and Major John Charters Kirk.

The Powell’s Tillery Steam Coal Company was formed in 1904 taking over the previous company formed in 1882. It had a share capital of £144,006 and a debenture issue of £65,200, The colliery’s output was about 900,000 tons annually, total value was over half a million sterling.

The Powell’s Tillery Co, Directors – Col H. A. Powell; Messrs E. Heseltine; William Newall; W. J. Roch; and William Stewart (Managing Director); would retire. The Ebbw Vale Co were to take over the Management.

On Friday June 30th 1916 the collieries belonging to the Powell’s Tillery Steam Coal Co Ltd were finally acquired by the Ebbw Vale Steel, Iron and Coal Co Ltd & T. Beynon and Co Ltd.

The new directors consisted of Mr J. W. Beynon the head of T. Beynon and Co and the director of the Ebbw Vale Company; Mr Frederick Mills (Managing Director); Sir Henry Mather Jackson Bart; and Major John Charters Kirk.

(More information to come).

Share Button

Leave a Reply

error: Content is protected !!