Churches & Chapels

The New Presbyterian Chapel – Six Bells

The New Presbyterian Chapel Six Bells. The new Presbyterian Chapel building was proposed in 1903. The old original iron structured chapel on Bridge Street was becoming too small for purpose and a new much larger chapel was planned. Just two years later the chapel attendance reached 180 worshippers and the schoolroom attendance was 220 pupils. Following is a Link to – ... Read More »

Primitive Methodist Chapel – Six Bells

Primitive Methodist Chapel Six Bells. In January 1895 the Primitive Methodists at Six Bells held a meeting in the Hafod Van Reading Room. The chairman was Rev J. Turner. Songs were sung under the conductor-ship of Mr W. Doel and the proceeds went towards the chapel building fund. Services were later held regularly in the Reading Room. In late 1895 ... Read More »

St John’s Church – Six Bells

St John’s Church Six Bells. In the early 1900’s the Anglican Church held meetings and Rev D. Felix, the rector of Llanhilleth had conducted services at the Six Bells School. In February 1905 it was reported in the Parish Magazine that a loan of £1,200 had been negotiated and the vicar Rev H. S. Rees was able to proceed with ... Read More »

Christian Meeting House – Church of Christ

Christian Meeting House – Church of Christ. The Christian Church of Christ Movement started in Abertillery in the early 1900’s. They had no creed and the New Testament was their law. They believed in mutual ministry and had no sectarian aims and did not believe in public collections. They pleaded for a return to primitive Christianity. Their very first meeting ... Read More »

King Street Baptist Chapel

King Street Baptist Chapel. In the mid 19th century English speaking Baptists at Abertillery held their prayer meetings at the homes of the various members, mostly at the home of Mr Watkin Rowlands at Forge Row, Abertillery. Mr Hill. On the 4th April 1852 a sermon was preached by Mr Hill, a student at Pontypool College. The Founders of the ... Read More »

The Bible Christian Chapel – Red Brick Chapel Cwmtillery

The Bible Christian Chapel – Red Brick Chapel Cwmtillery. The construction of a Bible Christian chapel was proposed at Cwmtillery in 1871. The Original Chapel. On Good Friday 7th April 1871, the ceremony of the laying of the Foundation Stones took place. Over 350 people watched the ceremony take place on the land of the South Wales Collieries. The ceremony ... Read More »

St Pauls Church Cwmtillery

St Paul’s Church Cwmtillery. Prior to St Paul’s Church being build the people of Cwmtillery held services in the Colliers Hall, which was of inconvenience to the worshippers and a new church was proposed and planned. The Rev Evan Davies was responsible for the cost of the church. The Site. The site which the church was to be built was ... Read More »

Primitive Methodist Chapel – Cwmtillery

Cwmtillery Primitive Methodist Chapel. Methodists entered Cwmtillery in about 1860, they worshipped from a rented room. When the room was taken from them they continued services in the house of an old member with the Sunday School in the house of another. The Original Primitive Methodist Chapel. A small chapel was built in 1872 aligned east to west, being enlarged ... Read More »

Christchurch Aberbeeg – Llanhilleth New Parish Church

Christchurch Aberbeeg – Llanhilleth New Parish Church. In the late 1890’s the old Parish Church “St Illtyds” was becoming unfit for purpose, it was on the summit of a steep hill, could only seat 84 people and even though it had had recent repairs and renovations it was not up to the standard of a parish church with a growing ... Read More »

Cwm Street Primitive Methodist Tabernacle Chapel – Abertillery

Cwm Street Primitive Methodist Tabernacle Chapel – Abertillery. Mr Charles Saunders. The Methodist Movement at Abertillery was said to have began in 1847 at the house of Mr Charles Saunders at the Kings Head, Abertillery. Mr Thomas Preece. Mr Thomas Preece was invited to preach at Abertillery and was later persuaded to come to this district to reside. At this ... Read More »

error: Content is protected !!