History of the Gwent Collieries

Blaina and Nantyglo Collieries and Iron Works

J. & C. Bailey land map mid 1800s. A small portion of a J. & C. Bailey land map mid 1800s showing land leases and just a few of the many collieries. The map features the collieries circled left to right – Glyn Milwr Pit; The Feeder Black Pin Pit; Blaina Red Vein Pit; No8 Flue Pit; J & C ... Read More »

North Blaina Collieries

The North Blaina Collieries. Ffosmaen Colliery. Peggy’s Pit Coalbrookvale Nantyglo. There isn’t a great deal known about this colliery, though it was a deep mine with quite a few men employed there. It was situated close to the Ffosmaen Colliery and on the image can be seen the both collieries and an air-shaft (top right of the image). In 1890 ... Read More »

Coalbrookvale Colliery

Coalbrookvale. The name of Coalbrookvale was an English derivation of Nant-y-glo, stream of coal, Coal Brook in the vale of. Mr George Brewer. The Coalbrookvale Iron Works were set up in the 1820’s by Mr George Brewer. Later his son Mr Thomas Llewellyn Brewer took control. Coalbrookvale Colliery. The Coalbrookvale Deep Pit was sunk sometime after 1840, (the colliery was ... Read More »

Blaina Nantyglo Collieries

Blaina Nantyglo Collieries. Just a few of the collieries in the area. Ffosmaen Colliery, the Old Sun Pit, Trostre Pits and the Coalbrookvale Colliery. The name Trostre is spelt in many different ways on maps over the years. Read More »

Stones Colliery

The Sun Pits – North Blaina Colliery – Stones Pit. There was an old disused shaft on the site prior to 1880 more than probably opened and owned by Messrs Bailey Bros and the mothballed. Some time later the Messrs Stone Brothers, Mr John & William Stone took over and renamed it the “New Sun Pit” It was mentioned in ... Read More »

Blaina Collieries

The Stones Colliery. (Information on another page). The Upper Deep Colliery. Opened in about 1855, this colliery was located in the Cwmcelyn area and may have been opened by Messrs Levick & Simpson. In 1864 a coal cutter was invented by Levick and Jones of Cwmcelyn and exhibited in the Paris Exhibition. Mr James Brown and his brother Mr Thomas ... Read More »

North Griffin No1 Colliery

The North Griffin No1 Colliery. The North Griffin No1 Colliery was a deep colliery, situated in West Side Blaina (as seen on the map) more than probably owned and sunk by the Nantyglo and Blaina Company. The J. Lancaster Co. In 1878 the J. Lancaster Co took it over along with a few other other collieries in the Blaina area. ... Read More »

Cwm Nant-y-Groes Level

Cwm Nant-y-Groes Coal Level. Situated up in the Cwm-Nant-y Groes area of Six Bells, the colliery is featured on the 1843 map of the coalfield as being in production and had a tramway to the main tram road at Six Bells. Messrs T. P. & D. Price. The coal level was opened by Messrs T. P. & D. Price. Mr ... Read More »

Cwm Farm Levels

Cwm Farm Levels. There were a few coal levels in the Cwm Farm area though I haven’t got any pin-point exact locations only maps with very few details. The featured photograph shows (circled) the areas of the three known levels on the map. The Jubilee Level. The Jubilee Level, Cwm Farm was on ground owned by the Cwm Estate close ... Read More »

error: Content is protected !!