History of the Gwent Collieries

Arrael Griffin Colliery, Six Bells – A History 1891-1988

Arrael Griffin Colliery, Six Bells – A History 1891-1988. Mr John Lancaster Snr. Mr John Lancaster (as seen left) first came to the valleys in 1877 to visit the area’s many coal mines and associated works with a view of leasing the Blaina collieries and works. He came back to sign the deal with the Nantyglo and Blaina Company in ... Read More »

Arrael Griffin Colliery, Six Bells – List of Fatalities 1890-1988

Arrael Colliery, Six Bells Colliery – Fatalities 1890-1988.  This list of deaths that occurred at the Arrael Griffin Colliery, Six Bells covers most of those reported in National and Local Newspapers. The first deaths occurred during the sinking of the No.4 & No.5 shafts at the colliery and are covered in detail on another page, though they are listed below ... Read More »

Rose Heyworth Colliery Pithead Baths – Story

The Pithead Baths Proposal. In March 1929 a proposal was presented to the workers at the Rose Heyworth Colliery to have a pithead baths built for the benefit of the coal miners. In July 1929 a ballot was held to see if the workmen really wanted a pithead baths to be built in the first place and to put forward ... Read More »

Mining School – Crumlin

Mining School – Crumlin Monmouthshire. Prior to established mining schools and colleges, the various aspects of advanced mining education in connection with colliery officials and management etc was usually given at local schools in the coal mining districts. These mining classes were usually held after normal school hours under the Technical Instruction Committees. During the rapid expansion of the coal ... Read More »

Rose Heyworth Colliery Surface Plan

Rose Heyworth Colliery Surface Plan. Abertillery New Mine – Rose Heyworth Section. Rose Heyworth Colliery surface plan. The one and only original N.C.B. plan. Size 6′ x 2′ foot.  Rose Heyworth Colliery and Cwmtillery Colliery had always been connected below ground from the time of the former’s sinking between 1874-75, though in 1959 a new drift was driven between the ... Read More »

Mr Matthew Habakkuk – Colliery Owner, Agent and Mining Engineer

Mr Matthew Habakkuk – Colliery Owner, Agent and Mining Engineer. Mr Matthew Habakkuk was born in the 1790’s at Langyfelach, Glamorgan. Some documents have him with differing age. I believe he married a Margaret (no information) she was from the same town Langyfelach, Glamorgan and was born in 1800. An advertisement from the Monmouthshire Merlin newspaper (as seen left) dated ... Read More »

Penybont Colliery Sinking Report 1848

Penybont Colliery Sinking Report 1848. A newspaper report from the Principality Newspaper dated Friday 8th September 1848. It shows the Tyr Nicholas Colliery, Cwmtillery Colliery, progressing. Originally sunk under the ownership of Mr Thomas Brown, purchased by Mr John Russell in 1847 and being expanded under the supervision of Mr Martin of Risca. The report also mentions the progress of ... Read More »

Shaft Diver – Penybont Colliery 1865

Shaft Diver at the Penybont Tillery Colliery. The following is a report from an engineering item written by Mr T. Dyne Steel, M.E. a share-holder and engineer who had connections with of the Penybont Tillery Colliery in the 1860’s. The Devonshire Journal. This article is from the Devonshire Journal, dated December 1865, it states that Mr T. Dyne Steel has ... Read More »

error: Content is protected !!